Multiple Weather Applets?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mykec
Level 1
Level 1

Multiple Weather Applets?

Post by mykec »

I'm using Mint 11 with Gnome 2 and am now test-driving Mint 13 Cinnamon on my wife's PC before I upgrade my own to something I've never seen before.

I live in Kentucky and have family in Oklahoma and Oregon (all in the USA). For this reason I keep three weather apps in my upper panel - one for each location.

My wife is able to have one weather app but, like me, enjoys being able to track weather in multiple regions simultaneously. Having multiple weather applets in her upper panel, however, no longer seems possible.

Is that true?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Multiple Weather Applets?

Post by remoulder »

If you want to replicate the functionality of gnome panel you will probably need to run Mate, Cinnamon works in a different way and applets would specifically need to be written to do what you want.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mykec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mykec »

I'm running Mint 14 MATE on my PC now because my "legacy" nVidia video card cannot display the Cinnamon desktop on my machine. And, yes, with MATE I am able to have 3 instances of the same weather applet (set to show weather for three different locations) in my upper Gnome panel as I could before under Gnome 2 and Mint 11.

The problem is with my wife's PC which is running Mint 14 Cinnamon. She's the one wanting three weather applets as well - just like I have - and can't get it to show more than one. This so-called "progress" in whiz-bang 3D accelerated desktop graphics has, therefore, resulted in the loss of a useful function which she found very beneficial to have around and would like to see return.

Thanks for your reply.
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

The possibility to have several instances of the same applet is not present yet, but has been implemented and will be available in cinnamon 1.8.
It will be up to applets developers to make sure their applet can be used several times though.
mykec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mykec »

Thanks. I'm being forced to use MATE on my own PC for the time being because my video card is too weak to handle Cinnamon's requirements. I am able to have 3 weather applets in my panel at upper right with MATE as with Gnome 2.x before. It's only on my wife's PC running Cinnamon where we're stuck with only one instance of it. Nice to know multiple instances of the same applet will be doable soon enough. Maybe by then I'll have a whole new machine with all new parts and running sweetly. :)

Return to “Cinnamon”