need to get software from one computer to the next .

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

need to get software from one computer to the next .

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

i have a brand new LM 14 install on another computer but for some reason my network worked long enough to download, install, and upgrade the new system, but when i rebooted aftere the update the network no longer worked so as i have had trouble with 'network manager ' before i thought I would download wicd to my thumb drive or somehow get it on a thumb drive and then over to my other computer that way.

I need to know how to install wicd from a thumb drive. I know how to get it to the downloads file but from there i'm lost.

thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tbrownarcher2

how do i expand and install a .tar.gz file

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I have no network on the computer i'm concerned with.
I need to install WICD
I need to download it because i can't get on the internet with synaptic
the only file i can find is a tar.gz file. I'm using linux mint 14 cinnamon on a dell dimension 3000 computer and i can't use Synaptic becauxe i can't get on the internet. I do have 2 machines with WICD on them but I don't know how to transfer it from them to my computer of concern.

I need to know how to expand and then install a .tar.gz file (wicd-1.7.2.4.tar.gz)

Thank you very much,
Nate
741cc

Re: how do i expand and install a .tar.gz file

Post by 741cc »

Can't you use a cable to connect to the 'net and then use synaptic to download wicd?
You could use a usb stick or cd to transfer the tar.gz from one machine to the other. Then Google "install a .tar.gz file".
tbrownarcher2

Re: how do i expand and install a .tar.gz file

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

will tar.gz work in linux mint?..
I don't have cable or dial up.

I'm on my cell phone hot spot. NO cables.
ok i will google it..... i use to do it years ago but don't even remember what system tar.gz is designed for ...

thanks,
Nate
Gord

Re: need to get software from one computer to the next .

Post by Gord »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:i have a brand new LM 14 install on another computer but for some reason my network worked long enough to download, install, and upgrade the new system, but when i rebooted aftere the update the network no longer worked so as i have had trouble with 'network manager ' before i thought I would download wicd to my thumb drive or somehow get it on a thumb drive and then over to my other computer that way.

I need to know how to install wicd from a thumb drive. I know how to get it to the downloads file but from there i'm lost.
Precisely what is the "it" to which you refer? One or more .deb packages, perhaps? Please list the *exact* name(s) of the file(s) on the thumb drive.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[topics merged, same OP, same subject]
Gord

Post by Gord »

zerozero wrote:[topics merged, same OP, same subject]
Ah, okay good. More information now.
tbrownarcher2 wrote:I need to know how to expand and then install a .tar.gz file (wicd-1.7.2.4.tar.gz)
I suspect that the .tar.gz file contains the source code for the app. If so, then you'd have to compile the app yourself, along with all the dependencies. You might find it easier to download the following package files and copy them to your thumb drive:

python-wicd_1.7.2.4-2ubuntu1_all.deb
wicd-daemon_1.7.2.4-2ubuntu1_all.deb
wicd-gtk_1.7.2.4-2ubuntu1_all.deb
wicd_1.7.2.4-2ubuntu1_all.deb

Those are the packages that Synaptic would download for you. If you choose to go that route then let us know once you have downloaded the files and we can proceed from there.

Return to “Networking”