How do i format a disc

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrmullad

How do i format a disc

Post by mrmullad »

Hi new to Linux mint i have had a look but can't find it can someone please tell me how to format a disc or drive i need to formate a SD card to fat32 i have tried to install wine and use a windows formating tool but no luck software manager finds it but will not install it help with that would be much aprecated also.
Thanks in advance Dell :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
741cc

Re: How do i format a disc

Post by 741cc »

First, back up your files as if you mess this up, you can wipe out your whole pc's drive.

Insert the drive that you wish to format and start up gparted from the menu. Install it with Software Centre, Synaptic or Terminal if it's not present.

Gparted will open showing your first hdd, eg. " /dev/sda (*** GiB)", DO NOT FORMAT THIS ONE. Click the drop-down at top right and this will show any other mounted drives. Select the one you wish to format - make sure that the size you know the SD card to be matches the one that you select.
Right-click the drive you wish to format.
Hover over "Format To" then select the file system that you wish to install.
Click the green tick at the top and you're done.
Unmount the drive and remove.

If you are uncertain about any of the steps above, please note what you see (or take a screen shot), and re-post here. Use gparted with care.

Return to “Beginner Questions”