restoring some ms files on linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Crewp

restoring some ms files on linux

Post by Crewp »

Hi I'd like to know if it is possible to restore some backed up MS files ( pictures and recipes ) on my linux system ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oboedad55

Re: restoring some ms files on linux

Post by oboedad55 »

Crewp wrote:Hi I'd like to know if it is possible to restore some backed up MS files ( pictures and recipes ) on my linux system ?
More than likely. What media are the files on? Should be a simple matter of copy/paste to the desired directories.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

They are on back up dvd's from windows 7 ( which is no longer available) when I tried to restore them with linux back up utility nothing :cry:
I'm using linux mint 14 cinnamon, and was hoping to be able to get this info back ?
gnuuser

Post by gnuuser »

if you used a backup program they have probably been stored as data files.
reading them with the file manager will show them to have either a dat. or bak. extension
recovering them for transfer to your linux system will require restoring them on a windows machine and direct copied to dvd or usb hard drive
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

OK, i KNOW SOME ONE WITH WINDOWS 7, I'LL TRY IT AND REPORT BACK, THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO GUIDE ME ALONG :D
gnuuser

Post by gnuuser »

your welcome
thats what we are here for

Return to “Beginner Questions”