Mint 13 install fails on ibm t23 laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catclaw

Mint 13 install fails on ibm t23 laptop

Post by catclaw »

Re: attempt to install Linux Mint 13 -mate-dvd-32 bit------Multiple attempts, both with Winxp and alone, with multiple downloads (chk'd w/md5) on a ibm t23 (system diagnostics tested) and the install just sits there and spins. Finally gave up and installed successfully in one attempt Ubuntu 12.04.

Folks, I don't think the problem is mine, could be and kind of wish it is, as I like Mint. But there is always a "minor' issue" to the install of Linux. I don't need or want new 'bells and whistles' or a different display. As I am not very knowledgeable and never will be, I'm 71 years old retiree, I just want the damn thing to assume I am an novice and install everything needed to boot. Should I assume I am not qualified to be a Linux or Mint user? I suspect you are mildly aggravated that I do not care for the terminal, but I am a user of you product because the rest of it is good, in spite of the forced terminal experience I endure. I can cut and paste the lines to terminal. I am amazed that so much online help can be had, but I will never embrace the terminal as you folks love to do. In short, some of your fan base is different from you.

Bottom line, I am not a computer wizard, far, far from it, but I like most of what Linux does.

LinuxMint has been installed on another, newer laptop by me. I really like it even though the ever-present wireless nightmare was there to be struggled with. Thank you all for your effort. I only submit this to help you produce a better product. I hope it does.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 13 install fails on ibm t23 laptop

Post by karlchen »

Hello, catclaw.

Are you sure that you installed Ubuntu 12.04 and not Ubuntu 12.04.1 (Ubuntu 12.04 service pack 1)? If you downloaded it recently you will have downloaded and started with Ubuntu 12.04.1.
The reason for picking on the exact version of your installation medium is pretty simple and directly related to your problem installing Linux Mint 13:
When Ubuntu 12.04 was released end of April and Linux Mint 13 in May 2012 (Mint 13 being 90% Ubuntu plus a more polished and more user friendly user interface), they were both green bananas. The release notes explicitly mentioned particular hardware components which caused trouble during the installation.

The release notes for Ubuntu 12.04.1 do not mention any of those problems any longer, because the Ubuntu makers had fixed them all when they released Ubuntu12.04.1.
The problem with Linux Mint 13 is this: the installation ISO is still the May release of Mint 13. This means you start with a green banana version having all the bugs which have been fixed in Ubuntu 12.0.4.1. Provided you survive the Mint 13 installation process (my machines all did) Mint 13 will pull round about 500 software updates thus lifting itself to the same bug-fixed state that Ubuntu 12.04.1 plus current updates will have today.

The symptom that you describe and which you kept on experiencing when trying to install Linux Mint 13 suggests that very likely your IBM notebook is affected by one of the compatibility problems which existed in the initial releases of Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13.

Linux Mint 13 release notes: May release notes. See section "Known issues".
You may also like to look at the corresponding release notes for Ubuntu 12.04: Ubuntu 12.04 => Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop. See the section "Known issues" further down.

In short words:
The trouble with the downloadable Linux Mint 13 installation medium is that it still represents the initial "green banana" state of Linux Mint 13, although most of the bugs have been fixed by now. This, however, will not help you, in case such an old bug prevents you from installing.
As the Mint makers are smart people the only reason for nor releasing bug-fixed Linux Mint 13 SP1 installation ISOs must be a lack of qualified people who have got the time to create these ISOs and distribute them to the servers.

With respect to your personal report, I would like to suggest to go through the old release notes and check whether your notebook might be affected by one of the reported known problems. - If you decide to stick with Ubuntu because you do not want to start all over from the scratch and spend more hours on making the Mint 13 installation work, then this is perfectly all right. Ubuntu 12.04.1 is a pretty stable operating system. And except for the Unity desktop there is nothing wrong with using it. (This is my personal point of view only.) For me it simply works.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
catclaw

Post by catclaw »

Thank you for your help.

I have little knowledge of how to make the most of Ubuntu and Mint, but I really have enjoyed the stability of the system once I get it all installed. I've been 'fussing' with this present problem of installing Mint 13 longer than I should, but I am retired and it is "brain exercise" for me. I have installed Mint 13 on a Del D620 and it was a "non-event", easy install.

I guess I'll re-read your note and if I read it right, you say that Mint 13 just isn't ready yet for an old IBM T23. The old laptops are absolutely 'bullet-proof' mechanically and I have several, so I am having some 'fun' trying to do and learn. (OK, I am now starting to install Mint 14 and I guess I'll hit the same brick wall,but isn't that why they make brick walls?? And I'll look at the other Linux sys out there.)

Again, thank you so much.............
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

catclaw,

See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=102866

running:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint
in the terminal while running mint 13 live might fix your problem.

Matt
rb3

Post by rb3 »

Excellent tip! Had tried several times to install Mint 13 on a T23, kept losing the process - the thing would spontaneously go back to the DVD desktop. Removed the slideshow as you advised and it seems to be going fine. Very appreciative - thanks! :D
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

rb3,

I'm glad it worked for you.

Return to “Installation & Boot”