File preview in Nemo

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

File preview in Nemo

Post by SallyK »

Nautilus had gnome-sushi as an add-in to preview files, but it doesn't work in Nemo. Gloobus preview doesn't work either.

Does anyone know if there is a file preview that does work in Nemo, or if there are any plans to make one of the above programs work with it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Re: File preview in Nemo

Post by SallyK »

Anybody with any idea about this?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Search the forums
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=119352

Shows what is intended and coming down the pike. Understand the Nemo is in it's infancy and just beginning.
So to expect equal to Nautilus comparison this early is unrealistic.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thanks, I was aware of that, but not everything gets mentioned in a document like that, just the highlights.

I know Nemo is very much a WIP, but I just wondered if somebody had got preview working without a formal announcement, and I wanted to put it on the agenda, particularly as I suspect it probably wouldn't take more than a little bit of tweaking to get the (external) programs that work with Nautilus to work with Nemo as well. I'm not expecting a new feature to be coded from scratch.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

From what I have gleamed it is a minor rewrite to make nautilus extensions work with nemo. Just comes down to motivating the extension author to make the modifications and submit for nemo.
ewan86

Post by ewan86 »

I miss gloobus too, but at least nemo seems a mite quicker than nautilus!
delinquent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by delinquent »

I miss gloobus preview too. a lot of getting used to in the latest version.
mmcfee

Post by mmcfee »

It's not a perfect solution, but in my case I installed gloobus-preview, gloobus-sushi and unconv. Then I made a nemo action for preview. It requires a right-click instead of keyboard, but it's better than the alternative.

In /usr/share/nemo/actions I created preview.nemo_action

[Nemo Action]
Active=true
Name=Preview item
Comment=Preview with gloobus-preview
Exec=gloobus-preview %F
Icon-Name=system-search
Selection=S
Extensions=any;

Now I can at least right-click to preview. I especially hate opening spreadsheets to glean one single item, so this is a big time saver for me.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thank you very much, mmcfee, that's a great help. :-)
phr33k

Post by phr33k »

I know that this thread is old, but nonetheless I just want to report that mmcfee's solution works pretty well in Linuxmint 13 Cinnamon 32 bit with Petra backports.

I uninstalled Nautilus and only use Nemo as a file manager. Also, I did not install gnome-sushi and I still can preview many different file types.

Hope others find this helpful even though I'm posting to an old thread.
Nhoj

Post by Nhoj »

Just installed Linux Mint 17.3 and I really need to be able to preview word and excel type docs without opening them.

I tried to follow use this solution but got an error "This PPA does not support trusty"

Any suggestions?
Nhoj

Post by Nhoj »

Figured out the answer to my problem and I wanted to share it.

With Linux Mint 17.3 you can click on a file and press the space bar to get a preview. That I understood, but I thought it worked lousy on what it actually displayed... However, the trick is that it only displays all the print areas, so if you print area does not include what you need to preview, you will NOT see it. I adjusted all my print areas and now I get what I need.

Return to “Software & Applications”