Install gone wrong

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lonewolf69

Install gone wrong

Post by lonewolf69 »

I am trying out a few different types of linux and thought I would start with Mint. I have a new 500g drive that I have partitioned into 5 logical partitions using gparted: sda, sda1, sda3, sda4, sda6, sda7 and sda5 (I didn't name them!) sized 84, 84, 84, 79, 165 and 4.3 (swap) respectively. where sda is the physical drive. The 165 drive is going to be for file storage to access across the different distros. I have used the livecd to install on sda1 as "/" and rebooted. After reboot I get this error...

Boot Failure: "error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found"
grub rescue>

I tried to reinstall with the livecd setting the mount point as "/boot" and I get an error of "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

How do I fix this?

Thanks.
K
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Install gone wrong

Post by caf4926 »

Your info doesn't make much sense
Firstly because Logical partitions go inside a extended primary space

Don't use a /boot partition
Just set grub to mbr that is sda
See; https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Mint_ ... loader.png
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I was thinking that the description might be a little confusing.

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 (84g)
/dev/sda3 (84g)
/dev/sda4 (84g)
/dev/sda6 (79g)
/dev/sda7 (165g-going to use for file storage like docs and music to be able to access across 4 different linux distros)
/dev/sda5 (4.3g)

I have been using for Ubuntu for about 18 months and do not like where they are going with the Amazon "suggestions" so I want to try out other options.

The Mint install I just did is on sda1 with the mount point of "/". I am not very familiar with partitioning as I usually use 1 physical drive per O/S so I am venturing into new territory. Do I need to install "/" on sda1 and "/boot" on sda5?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Here is what I suggest

sda1 = primary swap = 2 x RAM

All the remaining space = Extended Partition

Then create all the logicals you want inside the extended space.

Then remember to make sure grub is set to sda as in the image I gave you
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I'm a little confused here. Are you suggesting that I repartition the entire drive and set sda1 as the swap. I do not understand what you mean by "All the remaining space = Extended Partition." Is that not what I have except for the swap being sda5?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Delete all the partitions on the HD
and create a primary for swap = to 2 x your RAM
Then create a extended partition to all the space available
Then create logical partitions in the extended space as you require them
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

Ok, I deleted all the drives, created the sda1 swap. I am looking to create the rest of the drive and I see in your picture that you use Ext4. Earlier today the Mint install used Ext2. Which is better?

Again, my ignorance here. I thought that logical drives are partitions within a physical drive. If the entire drive is setup as a swap and 1 massive partition, isn't the rest of the drive then the logical drive? And how would I then create logical drives within a logical drive?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

No you are not following

Use gparted to create a swap (it will become sda1) but you need to configure the size of it to what I said

Maybe this will help, play it full screen
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3e0lL ... no0YnFLZ3c

The one massive extended is actually a primary and logical partitions go inside it
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I have a live bootable gparted cd with the boot sequence as cd then hdd. When it boots now with the gparted cd I get the error...

error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.
grub rescue>

How do I get it to boot the gparted livecd? (I know it works I used it earlier today)
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

You need to double check everything
Isn't that the same error you reported earlier?

Can you boot any other media? Mint DVD? It had gparted on it FYI
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I do have a livecd of Mint that works. I am trying the Mint cd, I was right at that point before rebooting with the gparted disk- lol. Booting with the Mint disk, back shortly...
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

Ok, the Mint live cd has a partitioning software that is slightly different than gparted. I was able to deleted all the partitions then create the swap. It does not however give me the ability to create an extended partition. Currently I have...

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 swap 4499 mb
/dev/sda2 ext4 495606 mb

Should I just break sda2 down into my smaller logical drives as I do not have an option for the "extended" partition with the mint live cd?

It is getting late, I will be back at it in the am. Thank you so much for all your help!!!!!!!

Keith
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

The installer partitioner is different than Gparted
It should be in the software listed in the live session or you can install it

sudo apt-get install gparted

Get it right first time
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I have deleted everything that gparted would allow. I am attaching a screenshot. There is still a partition of the physical drive that I want to remove as it splits the drive in half.
Last edited by lonewolf69 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

One of the easiest ways to completely clear the drive is to create a New Partition Table > MSDOS

Then partition and format as required
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I think we are now in a loop because creating a new table throws me this...

A new partition table cannot be created when there are active partitions. Active partitions are those that are in use, such as a mounted file system, or enabled swap space. Use Partition menu options, such as unmount or swapoff, to deactivate all partitions on this device before creating a new patition table.

Of course Unmount is not enabled. Remember I have the Mint live cd in because I get the grub error when I use the gparted live cd. Suggestions?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Leave the swap as it is
Delete sda2 (extended)
Which should bring together the 2 200GB+ unallocated areas
And create an extended using all that space

So you should end up with an extended like sda2 is now but much bigger
Then you create logical partitions in there
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

It wont let me delete /dev/sda2, all the options are disabled except "Manage Flags".
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Can you resize sda 2 to take in that free space?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

No. I plugged in my Ubuntu drive and the new one thinking I could use gparted off that but got the grub rescue error again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”