No Desktop Environment (KDE) After Upgrading To Nadia

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dameentsia

No Desktop Environment (KDE) After Upgrading To Nadia

Post by Dameentsia »

Well, I was being hasty and wanted to upgrade my version of Mint 13 KDE to 14. I used the method as described here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrad ... a-with-apt

Everything seemed to upgrade correctly, and everything went fine. I rebooted, and was shown with a "Linux Mint 14" loading screen instead of "Linux Mint 13" like I am used to. "Cool," I said. After startup, I'm thrown into a login shell (Like you would see if you were to press CTRL+ALT+F1, for example). I was foolish not to make a backup, I guess I didn't think of it at the time. But, anyways, is there a possible way to retrieve my GUI desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: No Desktop Environment (KDE) After Upgrading To Nadia

Post by caf4926 »

Try booting with nomodeset added
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Dameentsia

Post by Dameentsia »

caf4926 wrote:Try booting with nomodeset added
Using nomodeset doesn't change anything, is exactly as it was before.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mint has no in-place upgrades (nor does recommend them) exactly because of situations like yours, but not only, they are risky, not worthy the time spent on it and even when you have some success (like in the page you linked) it's not exactly like a fresh instalation.

backup all your important personal stuff (you can do that with a liveDVD) and reinstall afresh.
Dameentsia

Post by Dameentsia »

zerozero wrote:backup all your important personal stuff (you can do that with a liveDVD) and reinstall afresh.
I'm sorry, I don't exactly know what you mean by this. Could you explain for me please?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

if you have in that install (the one that is now broken) any important personal files boot with a liveDVD or liveUSB and copy them over to a safe place (external hdd, other USB) then install mint 14 in the computer.

Return to “Software & Applications”