wacom bamboo RESOLVED

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shalamabobbi

wacom bamboo RESOLVED

Post by shalamabobbi »

I have read through the posts refering to installing the drivers and attempted unsuccessfully to get the drawing tablet to work.

Is it possible to install the windows drivers supplied on the CD on wine and install&run GIMP from there?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Favux

Re: wacom bamboo

Post by Favux »

Hi shalamabobbi,

Welcome to Mint forums!

You should not need to use Wine for your Wacom Bamboo. The Wacom drivers should be pre-installed and work for most Bamboos except the newest depending on the release. What release of Mint are you using?

To find out which Bamboo you have please post the output of the following command in a terminal with the Bamboo plugged in.

Code: Select all

lsusb
Also post the output of this command.

xinput list
shalamabobbi

Post by shalamabobbi »

Linux Mint 13 Maya, Cinnamon desktop
Kernal Linux 3.2.0-23-generic (i686)
System Tools/System Settings/Hardware/Wacom Graphics Tablet - "No Tablet Detected, Please plug in or turn on your Wacom tablet"

It is a just recently purchased, Bamboo Splash Pen ~$70 retail.
shalamabobbi

Post by shalamabobbi »

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 056a:00dd Wacom Co., Ltd

$ xinput list
[ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
| >Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
| >ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
[ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
>Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
>Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
>Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
>AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]

(the > symbol was really an arrow that starts vertically down and bends to the right)
Favux

Post by Favux »

Alright, on the BambooPT HOW TO you'll see that is a third generation model. The HOW TO calls it the:

Bamboo Connect (Pen)                  stylus          
   (CTL470/K; Product ID = 0xdd)
Third generations are not supported by the Wacom kernel driver (wacom.ko) included in Maya (Mint 12). So you'll need to compile input-wacom which is explained in part I. Or use the linked PPA.

Now you mentioned you already tried to install drivers. Did you already use a PPA? If so which one? Also if you compile the Wacom X driver xf86-input wacom (the xorg-xserver-input-wacom package) in Maya you have to apply the frankenserver patch otherwise it will break X. And if you already did compile xf86-input-wacom without the patch you'll need to recompile over it with the patch applied. You probably won't need to compile xf86-input-wacom (part II.) unless you want to. Input-wacom or part I. should be enough to get it working.

If you are new don't be intimidated. All you are doing is copying and pasting the commands in order in a terminal, hitting enter after each command. Just read through the instructions a couple of times to get oriented and you should be good to go.
shalamabobbi

Post by shalamabobbi »

If I understand your post correctly I need to go through the terminal commands of part one only. I am uncertain whether that will also take care of "applying the frankenserver patch" or not.

All seemed to proceed well except in attempting the last bit:

(If you are in Katya/Natty or Lisa/Oneiric or Maya/Precise.)
sudo cp ./2.6.38/wacom.ko /lib/modules/'uname -r'/kernal/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

resulted in the message:
cp: cannot create regular file '/lib/modules/uname -r/kernal/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko': No such file or directory

Then there was an instruction on the terminal itself from the last successful step that read:
If you have a USB device, please copy the driver by:
cp 2.6.38/wacom.ko /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/kernal/drivers/input/tablet

which resulted in the message:
cp: cannot create regular file '/lib/modules/3.2.0-23.generic/kernal/drivers/input/tablet': No such file or directory

the last command, sudo depmod -a, seemed to work.
restarted.

Trying lsmod | grep wacom

resulted in nothing being returned in the window.
shalamabobbi

Post by shalamabobbi »

What I previously tried (before posting here) resulted in messages that what I was installing was already installed.
Favux

Post by Favux »

The Wacom driver has two components. The kernel driver and the X driver. The kernel driver/module wacom.ko is what part I. is compiling. The frankenserver patch is for the X driver in part II.

In the unpacked input-wacom folder see if there is a folder called 2.6.38. Open it. In it you should see newly compiled files including wacom.ko. Do you see wacom.ko?

I'm wondering if the problem with the copy (cp) command isn't with the different spelling of kernel you seem to have. Although the instructions from the compile output and your version of the HOW TO both seem to have your alternate spelling. The HOW TO uses kernel with a second e instead of the a you seem to have. Do you even see the small case E when I type it seperately instead of in kernel? Your posts show small case E to me except in kernel I guess. So my suggestion is to use nautilus and work your way down the directory tree and see if it matches the one in the copy command.

/lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/kernal/drivers/input/tablet
or is kernel spelled with two e's? And does 3.2.0-23-generic match the output in a terminal of?

uname -r
What I previously tried (before posting here) resulted in messages that what I was installing was already installed.
That sounds like you were installing packages from the repositories. And Update Manager was telling you they were already installed. In which case there shouldn't be a issue. The problem with a PPA is some of them install a dkms (dynamic kernel module support) implementation of the wacom.ko. That's great because it means you don't have to recompile the module with every kernel update, the dkms does it automatically for you. But they tend not to explain that their dkms wacom.ko will overwrite any wacom.ko you compile. This is especially a problem when the PPA is installing an older version of input-wacom that doesn't support the tablet. Naturally enough when just starting out folks tend not to know which version of input-wacom they need for support. So people have gone weeks with a wacom.ko from a PPA that doesn't support their tablet. Everytime they compile a newer wacom.ko that would work the PPA wacom.ko prevents it from working and they don't know why.
Last edited by Favux on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
shalamabobbi

Post by shalamabobbi »

I see a problem. The folder that got untarred is called input-wacom-0.15.0 on my desktop. Opening that I see 2.6.38 along with other folders labled 2.6.30, 2.6.36, etc. So I pulled the 2.6.38 out to the desktop.
kernel was mispelled as well.

So copy and paste into the terminal:
sudo cp ./2.6.38/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

results in the message:
cp: cannot stat `./2.6.38/wacom.ko': No such file or directory

Opening the 2.6.38 folder does indeed contain a file called wacom.ko

The terminal is indeed in the desktop. (it says it is, but it really wasn't)

Tried opening Computer/File System/home/dennis/Desktop
and the folder is showing up there.

OK did an: ls -l in the terminal and Desktop showed up first on the list.
So now i am doing:
sudo cp ./Desktop/2.6.38/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

That didn't give any error message so onward,

Next did the USB device instruction in the terminal as well:
cp ./Desktop/2.6.38/wacom.ko /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/kernel/drivers/input/tablet

That also worked.

Now:
sudo depmod -a
That seemed to work. Took a few seconds.

Reboot.

doing the:
lsmod | grep wacom
resulted in:
wacom 51575 0
with the word "wacom" in the color red.

Menu/system tools/system setting/wacom graphics tablet
now shows a control panel for the tablet.

OK so now I guess I'll do the second part which you said takes care of the frankenserver patch.

Many thanks for the assistance.
Favux

Re: wacom bamboo RESOLVED

Post by Favux »

Great, nice work! :)

You can always use the pwd (print working directory) command to find out where you are in the directory tree. Also ~/ is a shortcut for /home/your username. So instead of /home/your username/Desktop/etc. you could use ~/Desktop/etc.
kernel was mispelled as well.
Could you expand on that a bit? Was it mispelled in the input-wacom-0.15.0 folder?
shalamabobbi

Re: wacom bamboo RESOLVED

Post by shalamabobbi »

No, I think I simply mispelled it all on my own.

Return to “Hardware Support”