How to Install ffmpeg?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mitakataka

How to Install ffmpeg?

Post by mitakataka »

How can I install ffmpeg, not libav's avconv?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mitakataka

Re: How to Install ffmpeg?

Post by mitakataka »

Any help? Help me please!..
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I compiled it from source and used checkinstall to install it. I'll see if I can dig up the tutorial I used.
EDIT: I found it. https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/Ubu ... ationGuide
That's the guide I followed and it seems to work fine for me. I needed a few options that weren't enabled in the package manager's version. If that doesn't matter to you, just search Synaptic and install from there.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

What Mint version are you using? ffmpeg exists within Synaptic on my Mint 14 Mate system.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
mitakataka

Post by mitakataka »

I'm using Linux Mint 13 MATE. What's the name of the package with ffmpeg? Because the package 'ffmpeg' I see in sinaptic is Libav package not ffmpeg one... :-( "Libav is a complete, cross-platform solution to decode, encode, record, convert and stream audio and video" ...and... "This package is only used for transitional purposes and can be safely removed when no other packages depend on this package" :-(

How can I install ffmpeg with some package manager :-( I don't want to mess around compiling things... I hope that there is some normal (easy) way to install well spread packages :-(
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If you try to install ffmpeg-doc or ffmpeg-dbg, it will most likely pull ffmpeg as a dependency so you can then deselect the first package and install ffmpeg. I've done that with other packages. Abusing the automatic dependency select is quite useful sometimes.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Package name is simply ffmpeg
ffmpeg.png
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
mitakataka

Post by mitakataka »

I don't get it... On my system (Linux Mint 13) ffmpeg, ffmpeg-doc and ffmpeg-dbg 4:0.8.4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 are transitional packages to Libav things, not to real ffmpeg :( and after writing ffmpeg command in terminal first it writes:

*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.

I want install ffmpeg package not Libav one. Cause I don't want ffmpeg command used by me to be removed 'in some future release... Is there any method doing this (without messing with compiling)... ;-(
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

I'm looking at your joined date and total messages. Makes me curious if you are using Mint 13 RC?

Two basic recommendations both closely related. If not an RC go into Synaptic and change repositories. Might help. Be sure to reload in order to have the most up-to-date packages.

The other is to download a new copy of either Mint 13 or 14. Reinstall and see if things improve. During the install process when you get to the partitioning select "something else", or words to that effect. Reformat the root partition but do not format home, only identify it.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258

Return to “Software & Applications”