<SOLVED> Smooth tasks plasma widget

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grepnix

<SOLVED> Smooth tasks plasma widget

Post by grepnix »

I've just switched to Linux Mint KDE 13 on my laptop as the distro works better with my hardware. Very pleased so far but was wondering if it would be possible to use the smooth tasks plasma widget rather than the usual taskmanager. I can't find it anywhere?

Cheers,
Grepnix
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grepnix

Re: Smooth tasks plasma widget

Post by grepnix »

Ok, if anyones interested I managed to get the smooth tasks widget running by compiling from source :-

https://bitbucket.org/flupp/smooth-tasks-fork/downloads

Go to branches and download the 4.8 branch in zip .gz or .bz2 format
Extract it to a directory and read the install.txt file for instructions on how to compile.

I needed to install the following dependencies for the compile to work on a base install :-

build-essential
cmake
g++
kdebase-workspace-dev

Caveats :

For some reason it messed up my taskbar and I had to recreate the panel. Its fine again now.
Remember this is an unsupported plasma widget that is a fork of the original smooth tasks.

Cheers,
Grepnix
BubbaBlues

Re: <SOLVED> Smooth tasks plasma widget

Post by BubbaBlues »

All you had to do is open synaptic and type smooth tasks in the search. It's in there. :D It's listed as
plasma-widget-smooth-tasks
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

BubbaBlues wrote:All you had to do is open synaptic and type smooth tasks in the search. It's in there. :D It's listed as
plasma-widget-smooth-tasks
You're kidding! agh... <bangs head against table in frustration> I could have sworn I'd checked beforehand... I'm away from my Mint laptop at the mo, will check later...

Aye well, I guess I ended up with a load of compiling tools that may be helpful in the future. Theres always a silver lining :)

Grepnix
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

:D :D
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

Actually, I've just checked in synaptic and there is no plasma-widget-smooth-tasks in my base install??

Have you got extra repos in your install?

Cheers,
Grepnix
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Did you click the search button and type in "smooth tasks"? I'm actually using Mint 14 KDE, but I went straight from 12 to 14 because I didn't care much
for 13. However, I did install smooth tasks in 12 and it's there in 14, so I figure it has to be there in 13. 8)
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

BubbaBlues wrote:Did you click the search button and type in "smooth tasks"?
Yep... Nothing... nada... zilch... aptitude doesn't find it either...

Cheers,
Grepnix
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

trying to clear this out :lol: smooth tasks (for some odd reason) is not in the precise/maya repo (is in the previous and next :shock: )
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ooth-tasks
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Hmm, that's weird. Well there ya go. :)
grepnix

Post by grepnix »

Have gone back to using the default Task manager as I found this plasma widget far too buggy. it was constantly restarting plasma... I prefer it to look at, so its a shame... Perhaps the one that comes with KDE 14 works better...

Cheers,
Grepnix

Return to “Software & Applications”