Cracking noise in Linux Mint 14

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
owen123

Cracking noise in Linux Mint 14

Post by owen123 »

Hi :)

I have been using Linux Mint 13 on my laptop for a while and I am using it more than Windows 7 now :P

I have recently tried Linux Mint 14 but there is a cracking noise when I try to play music, I have looked into the sound settings and mess around with it but no luck.
I have also tried it on my desktop PC and the cracking noise is also the same as on my desktop PC. I have tried both the speaker and headphones but they have same cracking problem. My laptop and my desktop PC have AMD with ATI graphic. Maybe that is the source of the problem?

Please help :)

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaetemi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cracking noise in Linux Mint 14

Post by Kaetemi »

Same here, cracking in audio on laptop with 14 where it worked fine with 13. CPU/GFX is also AMD/ATI.
Sometimes fixed for a while after killing pulseaudio.
Kaetemi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cracking noise in Linux Mint 14

Post by Kaetemi »

Okay, I'm getting the cracking noise on my desktop as well, and that's a completely different AMD/nVidia setup.
It worked fine with 13 on all of my machines, this is the same issue I had with 12 on my previous laptop.

UPDATE: Fixed on this system with https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/PositionReporting - will try on other system as well.
Hahahah, the "ubuntu-bug audio" lists 13 devices (it lists every single onboard audio connector and some other stuff), except for the device in question. So it gives an option 14 for Other. Though, it seems it expects the number to be entered in one single keypress. I don't have a number 14 key on my keyboard, unfortunately, so I can't send them a report.

Return to “Sound”