Some questions about the menu...

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HansRuesch

Some questions about the menu...

Post by HansRuesch »

First of all; I apologize if these have been already discussed elsewhere.

One: Is there a way of removing the "All Applications" entry? I simply do not have any use for it.

Two: Just as we have a "recently opened" folder, I wonder if it is there is some way of generating an (automatically populated) "*frequently* opened" list.

Three: Is it possible to have the search box search not just for applications but also for miscellaneous files?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Some questions about the menu...

Post by karlchen »

Hello, HansRuesch.
One: Is there a way of removing the "All Applications" entry?
To the best of my knowledge the answer is "no, not possible".
Two: Just as we have a "recently opened" folder, I wonder if it is there is some way of generating an (automatically populated) "*frequently* opened" list.
To the best of my knowledge the answer is "no, currently not possible". I might be wrong in this case, because I have never fiddled around with the software "zeitgeist" and bothered to find out what it can do in detail.
Three: Is it possible to have the search box search not just for applications but also for miscellaneous files?
To the best of my knowledge the answer is "no, currently not possible". The Ubuntu Dash, part of the Unity desktop, can search for various objects. But the Mint Menu search box in the Mint Menu only searches "All Applications" :wink: Well, actually it also searches items in the submenu "Places" and if present in the submenu "Recently Opened".

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
HansRuesch

Post by HansRuesch »

Thanks for the replies!
Yes, the second one in particular was kind of a long shot... Figured I'd ask anyway, just in case.
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

HansRuesch wrote: Is there a way of removing the "All Applications" entry? I simply do not have any use for it.
I don't use this entry either, and I suspect nobody would be opposed to an option to turn it off, as it would probably make the applet load slightly faster.
Is it possible to have the search box search not just for applications but also for miscellaneous files?
I put it to the developers after demonstrating filesystem searching $PATH (as the Alt+F2 "Run" dialog does) and filesystem access and the resounding sentiment was that matching files and folders from $PATH is too much, and results in too many duplicate menu entries. However there was no argument against matching direct path names, e.g. typing "/usr" into the search bar, so this has been implemented and is awaiting a merge. As you type a path into the search bar it will show matching files and folders on the right side. You can press Tab to autocomplete and Return to open the selected folder. This purposely does not function as a directory browser, but does let you autocomplete your way to your destination.

Originally I was experimenting with having a right-click context menu, but that really convoluted things. We need to leave all of the more advanced filesystem operations to Nemo/Nautilus or the menu applet will be a PITA to maintain. Anyway, I expect it'll hit the master branch in 1-2 weeks, and sometime after that hit the shelves in the next Cinnamon release, but can't guarantee it!
HansRuesch

Post by HansRuesch »

That sounds quite interesting... Hope it eventually gets merged.

Return to “Cinnamon”