introducing niels

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nanders83

introducing niels

Post by nanders83 »

Hi all,

I'm new here. My name is Niels and I live in the Netherlands. I started using Linux (ubuntu) in 2010 when I bought a netbook because I moved away and had to travel a lot to work with the train. The netbook (samsung N210) was preinstalled with Windows 7 Starter's edition which was really a pain (too heavy on my atom processor and limited (couldn't even change the wallpaper out of the box). Linux-ubuntu was a real eye-opener in terms of customization, open-source software, package managers, etc. and I wondered what took me so long to switch.

When Unity came out I liked it at first but after a while my machine got too slow so I looked towards other distributions. I switched a lot between Ubuntu with the classic gnome shell, Lubuntu and now have I decided I stay with Linux Mint for a while. I tried the Cinnamon DE but found it too demanding for my atom processor so I stick with MATE, which I really like after using it for a few weeks now. One of the nice things about Unity I found was the easy access to software through a search function. I like the MintMenu of MATE having sort of the same functionality, but, with a lot higher responsiveness.

Recently I also installed Mint on my dual boot Desktop PC (which is quite old) and try to avoid Windows as much as possible. As I work in science I use a lot of python for data analysis and modelling, have to compile source files, write in LaTeX, so I can use Linux for most things. Unfortunately I'm stuck with certain windows software so I can't remove it completely.

Anyway, I joined this forum to learn more about Mint, Linux in general, and hopefully contribute something to this community.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: introducing niels

Post by Orbmiser »

Welcome! Niels and hope it becomes like home and you want to sit and put your feet up and stay awhile.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Welome aboard Niels! :P Have fun with Mint!
nanders83

Post by nanders83 »

Thanks! appreciate it ;-)
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums

:mrgreen:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hoi Niels, welkom :D Have fun using Linux Mint!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”