[SOLVED] Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BMO

[SOLVED] Cinnamon

Post by BMO »

Hi,

I'm running Mint 14 with Cinnamon. Every time I reboot none of the icons will show on the panel and I have to restart Cinnamon to get them to show up. I really haven't changed the panel from default other than to add a couple of applets.

I'm not even sure where to go to begin trouble shooting this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Marked as solved because after a patch and a few reboots I was unable to replicate the issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
EmpireITtech

Re: Cinnamon

Post by EmpireITtech »

When did this start? as in, did this begin right after you installed Mint or right after you installed a program/applet?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Nope same issue for me and mostly same icons invisible Volume,Settings,notifications and sometimes one or two others and have to restart cinnamon every reboot.

Tried different themes etc... but no resolution.
Earlier they were coming up like this.

But most of the time they are just invisible. 1 out 5 boots they all come up normal.
BMO

Post by BMO »

EmpireITtech wrote:When did this start? as in, did this begin right after you installed Mint or right after you installed a program/applet?
I should've mentioned that this is from a fresh install. It started happening the next day after I rebooted from the windows 7 partition. I tried resetting it back to default and that didn't help.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation.
Sounds like either your hardware doesn't like Mint 14 w/ Cinnamon or a corupt install (either being the download or when you installed it, both of which I doubt)
Have you tried using the MATE version or tried using Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon? Try one of these with a fresg install and see. Mint 13 Maya is based off Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I believe, so it's probable that it's more "stable"
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ BMO: It could be a graphical problem, please run this in terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Brucey99

Post by Brucey99 »

This sounds like this issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1088328

It would be interesting to see if you have any similar system specs

BMO and Orbmiser, could you type lspci in terminal and post the output?

Edit: Use AlbertP's command
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

SB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
02:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): JMicron Technology Corp. IEEE 1394 Host Controller
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

For me it's a minor issue since some recent libs upgrades and such all left to deal with is the volume icon is invisible about 2/3rds the time logging in or from boot up. Sometimes the settings and notification icons are also invisible. Seems more like specific icon used issue? But doing a Cinnamon restart resolves the issue but would like to know what is causing it?
Brucey99

Post by Brucey99 »

Sorry, as AlbertP said, please post output of inxi -Gx that's more useful to see your graphics card info
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

orbmiser@Winterfell ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz, 1680x1050@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

Not my video drivers as no issues at all even when playing games,etc... Always being the one or 3 basic applets Sound,settings & Notification icons tells me something different about those icon properties? guessing here.
Going to try different icon themes in cinnamon and see if that is the issue.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Orbmiser wrote:Nope same issue for me and mostly same icons invisible Volume,Settings,notifications and sometimes one or two others and have to restart cinnamon every reboot.

Tried different themes etc... but no resolution.
Earlier they were coming up like this.

But most of the time they are just invisible. 1 out 5 boots they all come up normal.
Yep Solved Does seem to be a issue with default xmint & xmint-dark icons when selected. Or a mixture of Cinnamon vs. Gtk vs Icon theme used. This whole Gtk theme for covering part of the desktop and another for windows and another for? Is really a mess and No unified Theme across the board. Is it just me? wanting a unified Theme desktop?

As chose another icon theme and half a different log-off and reboots Icons remain visible nor Cinnamon restart required.
But that also changed my folder icons and color. So lost on the preference as like the Green folders of xmint.

Update: Spoke too soon tray icons are fine except weather applet text. And Running Apps text dropping characters.

BMO

Post by BMO »

Sorry for the delay, been out for a bit myself. Here's the output:
$ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz, 1680x1050@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVCF GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 41)
This morning I had a good number of updates, rebooted 3 times and didn't have this issue once. So maybe it was fixed. Marking as solved.
Brucey99

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon

Post by Brucey99 »

That's good to hear

Is it fixed for you Orbmiser? Run any updates if you can
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Nope seems to occasional still appear and am up to date.
Something to do with type of icons and how they are rendered? Is my guess.
Just will have to see if fixed in future fixes.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ BMO: You don't have the NVIDIA graphics driver installed. You could probably better install nvidia-current from the repository.

@ Orbmiser: For you, there isn't a driver to install anymore since AMD dropped support for your GPU. On Mint 13, however, you can install fglrx "ATI/AMD graphics driver" from Additional Drivers.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

AlbertP wrote:@ BMO: You don't have the NVIDIA graphics driver installed. You could probably better install nvidia-current from the repository.

@ Orbmiser: For you, there isn't a driver to install anymore since AMD dropped support for your GPU. On Mint 13, however, you can install fglrx "ATI/AMD graphics driver" from Additional Drivers.
Hmmm I don't think I need to roll backwards. As don't believe it's a graphics driver issue. As a restart of cinnamon brings back the invisible icons. And if I use other icon themes then there is no problem. Just that some themes icon don't display well or sometimes display invisible tho there and functional just needing a Cinnamon restart to show.

Also tested out some games include Cube 2 Sauberean? and such without graphic issues.

Return to “Beginner Questions”