A wonderful thing has happened

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
natchezjohn

A wonderful thing has happened

Post by natchezjohn »

About two weeks ago the hard drive on my primary pc (desktop) died. I got a NEW one from goharddrive.com for 29.95 (delivered cross country in 3 days without a shipping fee). But since it was different from the original the doggone restore disks I created when it was new wouldn't reinstall the win7.

A few years ago I downloaded and fooled around with mint 10 so I installed it (trouble free) on the pc. Since it was no longer supported I installed mint 14.1 Cinnamon. I LOVE it. I just installed it on my laptop but left win7 (I don't know why????) however mint is first and default on the loader.

Linuxmint is great. I tried ubuntu during this crisis but it simply is not NEARLY as user friendly as mint. While I'm on the subect: the Unity desktop SUX - what a mess!!!!

I haven't looked at windows since I installed mint on my laptop and booted to win 7 just to see if it was still there.

Mint is a TRULY GREAT gift to us made possible by an incredibly dedicated, talented, and selfless group of people.

Thank you,
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: A wonderful thing has happened

Post by DrHu »

OK, so you might try a minimal install of the OS (win7 ?), and then try your restore files..
--I assume a restore needs a formatted and installed OS to reapply (restore files/settings into..)

By minimal install, all I mean is remove any settings/applications you are allowed to before installation
--such as windows default apps (games and so on.)
natchezjohn

Post by natchezjohn »

DrHu wrote:OK, so you might try a minimal install of the OS (win7 ?), and then try your restore files..
--I assume a restore needs a formatted and installed OS to reapply (restore files/settings into..)

By minimal install, all I mean is remove any settings/applications you are allowed to before installation
--such as windows default apps (games and so on.)
The Lenovo pc came without any install or restore discs at all After you set it up you create a set of (3) dvd's that will put it back as it was. Those dvd's don't recognize the new hdd.

But no matter I'm GLAD windows is gone.
natchezjohn

Post by natchezjohn »

That's one of the great things about linux - you can install it on a wad of bubble gum and it'll work just fine :wink: . Seriously any old pc will do.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

" you can install it on a wad of bubble gum and it'll work just fine :wink:"
Sure but you have to use Yum packages to update it :P
natchezjohn

Post by natchezjohn »

Orbmiser wrote:
" you can install it on a wad of bubble gum and it'll work just fine :wink:"
Sure but you have to use Yum packages to update it :P
VERY good!!