CD/DVD drive and external NTFS disks Bugs?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

CD/DVD drive and external NTFS disks Bugs?

Post by Orbmiser »

After Booting up everything fine and dandy.
Logout and it 10 second auto-logon Then get

These are 2 external usb Ntfs drives. The weird if I logout and back in a couple of times then it doesn't give those errors.
So wondering something about the 10 sec auto-logon? or it's Cinnamon? A Bug? A Solution?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Unable to Mount Usb - Bug? or Something to fix

Post by xenopeek »

Do you have any entries in /etc/fstab to mount these partitions? It sounds like these are automatically mounted upon being detected, and something else then also trying to mount them.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Only have a /etc/fstab.d and it's empty.

As they have always been plugged in even during the install. Boots up fine drives show in Nemo.
Log-out and back in and get that error but does go away after about third logging in.
I'm suspecting Nemo?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No, you should also have a /etc/fstab file--else your system wouldn't be able to boot :D You should either unmount removable storage devices before logging out (else these devices are locked to your previous session) or you should configure them in /etc/fstab. If you want the latter, I'll move this topic to a better location.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Ahhh...me confused as thought fstab folder and then looked for fstab text file.
Me have an excuse it's 3am slow neurons :?

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=24ead1ce-4262-4bc2-85e2-ba95902fcce4 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda8 modified by me
UUID=ba69dac5-f9f8-4991-9d3c-ec98a88453a2 none swap sw 0 0

Don't see the usb externals mounted in fstab file.
And don't know enough to know what mounts them on boot?
As they are there mounted when I open Nemo.
Or are mounted when I click on them in Nemo?

orbmiser@Winterfell ~ $ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="5E0C4DA50C4D78D3" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: UUID="F680ECB580EC7E0D" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda3: UUID="92305B62305B4BFB" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: UUID="24ead1ce-4262-4bc2-85e2-ba95902fcce4" TYPE="ext4" <---- Root
/dev/sda6: UUID="96627a37-6725-4976-8bb7-c07b6af4d6e2" TYPE="ext4" <--- /home
/dev/sda7: UUID="3e053ae8-7013-459e-881c-c2fde39a8432" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda8: UUID="ba69dac5-f9f8-4991-9d3c-ec98a88453a2" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="697GB Drive" UUID="DEF0C326F0C303AD" TYPE="ntfs" <---- Usb already mounted errors
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="320GB TOSHIBA" UUID="3E84B96484B91F79" TYPE="ntfs"<---- Usb already mounted errors
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to mount external NTFS disks?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here and updated topic subject, hopefully somebody with more experience with NTFS can help out on this.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

See if this works:
Brahim wrote:If you you ever get this message "Error mounting:.............. Device /dev/sdc1 is already mounted at `/media/... " while booting your system with an external media inserted on Linux Mint 14 Nadia Mate edition simply open your home folder and navigate to "Edit-Preferences-Media " and check "Never prompt or start programs on media insertion". That's it bros!! :D
On Cinnamon I think the path is: Menu > Preferences > Details > Removable Media > check "Never prompt or start programs on media insertion"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Nah already had that selected.

And it isn't a Mount issue as I can see.
Cold Boot fine no errors.
Open Nemo fine shows that up arrow next to them meaning "not mounted"?
click on mounted and browse fine.

The system sees the the system can mount them.
The problem is if I log out and back in then I get those error dialogs.
But Nemo still sees them and can browse them normally.

So not a mount issue per say but how it is reported with error dialogs.
Again everything works fine just get those pesky dialogs can't mount because already mounted error dialogs.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

And maybe related but when I insert a CD or DVD get mount error also.
Even tho it show up in device tree in Nemo and operates normally.
CD drive mount error.png
Would love to find out what is polling them as none are in fstab at all.
But something is confused about how to deal with devices.

As still have boot from cold and Nemo shows No Devices for Ntfs or usb drives.
But log out and log back in then their they are listed in Nemo.

So where to look? or modify? or confirmation of Bug? Would be appreciated. Thanks!
billmc

Re: CD/DVD drive and external NTFS disks Bugs?

Post by billmc »

In a terminal window, issue the "mount" command, this will show you what is mounted (it outputs the contents of /proc/mounts).

the "dmesg" command will list error messages, this file begins at system bootup and can be lenghty. To clear this file -> sudo dmesg -c, this will output the current contents and clear the file. Once done, try your operation causing problems again, immediately issue the dmesg command, you'll then see any errors generated. This may or may not help you. Just something to try.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

orbmiser@Winterfell ~ $ mount
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext4 (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/orbmiser/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=orbmiser)
/dev/sdc1 on /media/orbmiser/320GB TOSHIBA type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/orbmiser/697GB Drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

Last entries Bold are the issues with nemo. Since they are not in fstab. I assume it's something to do with fuseblk command?

And have to reboot to repeat problem of no usb drives in nemo on boot up. So don't know how sudo dmesg -c will solve cold boot? But will try it.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep rebooted and opened nemo and devices tree not showing. And doing a mount in term gives.

binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/orbmiser/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=orbmiser)

So looks like it's not adding the last two lines?

/dev/sdc1 on /media/orbmiser/320GB TOSHIBA type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/orbmiser/697GB Drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

Until I log out and back in again. Or if I do another Cold boot then nemo is normal and showing device tree.
Inserting a CD/DVD does not generate the already mounted error dialog.

billmc

Post by billmc »

I'm sorry, please forgive me. I didn't look close enough at the orinal post to see that the error states the drive is already mounted. I thought we were looking for a hardware issue of not being able to mount the drive.

dmesg outputs (I'm not sure of the correct terminology to use) a list of error messages that the system accumulates from boot up. The -c switch, when issued by root, will clear out this file. All it would do for us, is to make it easier to find the error message. But looking again at your description, I've sent you off in the wrong direction. Sorry.

Can I ask a couple of "dumb" questions, this being the first? Why are you logging out, only to have the system autolog you back in 10 seconds later?
So not a mount issue per say but how it is reported with error dialogs.
Again everything works fine just get those pesky dialogs can't mount because already mounted error dialogs.
I'm now retired and really haven't develed deep into this stuff since the time I was working. I used to play around with the automount stuff, mainly for NFS /home directories. Try reading the man pages for automounting. If I remember correctly, it takes a certain amount of time (usually measured in minutes) of inactivitiy before the automounter will unmount a filesystem. All the error message is telling you is it can't do what you asked (automount that particular filesystem) because its already been done. In otherwords, nothings broke.

If you really have a need to log out, then automatically log back in in 10 seconds, and don't want to be told that "I can't do what you asked because I already did it." Then I'd suggest manually unmounting those drives before you log out. You should be able to do this by "right clicking" on the drive in the tree structer and selecting unmount.

I'm pretty sure you won't see the error if you unmount them first. I'd also speculate, that if you were to disable the autologon, log out and give it some time before logging back in, you won't see the messages either. I'm thinking you were correct with your first guess, that this has to do with autologon, but just not the way you suspected.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Can I ask a couple of "dumb" questions, this being the first? Why are you logging out, only to have the system autolog you back in 10 seconds later?
Because that seems to clear up no devices tree shown in nemo. Logout and back in and bingo the devices tree is there with all my ntfs & usb drives ready to one click mount and use.

But you mentioned about a time factor and guessing you are correct.

I disabled all my startup programs. Screenlet just one,Conky simple metro clock,dropbox,everpad for evernote snyc,alarm clock,banshee,etc stripped down to bares and cold booted 3 times so far and Nemo showing devices tree normally all three times.

So thinking a startup program(s) is interfering with the system and how nemo fetches devices info and populates it's tree.
Few more cold boots to verify then start adding basic startups. And if required start with sleep 60 kind of thing as they are critical to start that instant kind of thing.

Thanks for your help. And will mark thread solved. Once I verify and find that my solutions works.
billmc

Post by billmc »

I'm not entirely sure you understood what I meant to say.
I disabled all my startup programs. ... So thinking a startup program(s) is interfering with the system and how nemo fetches devices info and populates it's tree.
I was not talking about programs that start automatically. I was talking about the drives being mounted automatically. The programs you've shut down auto starting have nothing to do with mounting the drives.

As I said, I haven't quit keep up with the "latest and greatest" So I'm sure they've incorporated the auto mounting of drives, when you log in, using some method that I'm not conversatant with. (I think its got something to do with dbus, but as yet I haven't had the "need" to figure it out). The time factor is involved with automatically unmounting the drive. The drive needs to be inactive (nobody using it or doing anything with it) for a period of time, before it will automatically unmount. 10 seconds is not long enough for this to happen.

As I said, I'm not familar with the newer stuff, so maybe they have incorporated something that would unmount these drives quicker, I don't know. If it is mounted in your "user space" this might be the case. Try to keep in mind the history of *nix. It was designed from the ground up as a multi-user system. A server comes up and is meant to stay up (uptimes of over a year are not unusual). The resources of the system, need to be available to any user authorized to access that resource.
I'm pretty sure the "allow_other" setting means any user on the system has access to this resource, so just because "you" logout, dosen't mean "I" logged out, I could still be logged in and need to use that drive.

Now I recognize that this is probably your own personal machine, and you are the only one using it, so there isn't going to be anybody else needing access to it. BUT, the system doesn't know that.

I learned a long time ago, computers are stupid. They do exactly what you tell them to do, not what you "want" then to do. All that message is, is the computer saying "I've already done what you told me to do. You haven't told me to do anything else (like unmount this drive), why are you telling me to do it again?"

If given enough time of inactivity (nobody on the system using it), the drives will eventually be unmounted, then when you log back in (by doing so, you are telling it to mount the drives) it won't ask you why you are telling it to do something it has already done.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Let's see if I can clear up the confusion. Am not talking fstab or automounting here.
And the behavior of Nemo with device tree and those Mount errors dialogs above.

I am talking the behavior of nemo.

If I boot up cold or logout and back in. There is a 50-50 chance I will get this as default
Screenshot With.png
See the Devices Tree with my additional drives? Now doing nothing and just logging out or doing a cold boot.
Then their is just as likely a chance I will get this.
Screenshot Without.png
Missing the Devices tree. It's not consistent one way or the other. And my fstab has none of those devices listed.
Hope that clears and helps define my issue. It's not about mounting or auto-mounting. But how nemo is handling my devices inside nemo.

Thanks for your help and any other pointers you can give will be appreciated.
billmc

Post by billmc »

OK, I'm begining to get a better understanding, but I still believe there is an issue with the, if you'll allow me to use the phrase, "auto mounting stuff".

Here's some things I'd like you to try for me.
Let's start with the computer shut off. Disconect the USB cable leading to the external drive, from the box. Turn the compuetr on. After it boots up, open nemo and open a terminal window along side the nemo window, so that you can see both at the same time. In the terminal widow, enter the mount command -> mount

Because the external drive is not connected, it should not show up in either nemo or the the output of mount.

Next, connect the usb cable. The system should recognize the external drive being attached, you should see it appear in nemo. Depending upon whether or not it automounts, the mount command output may or may not show the now connected external drives. If executing mount a second time does not show the external drives then, one at a time, in nemo click on a drive to have it mount, verify it is mounted with the mount command, then click on the next drive and verify that also gets mounted.

Assuming you've disabled the autologin, log out. Wait a minute or so, log back in and bring up nemo and the terminal window again. When you've gotten back in, I want to know if nemo still sees the drives and if the mount command still shows them being mounted or not, and if you saw the error messages indicating the drives are already mounted.

I'll check back in a little bit to find out what happened. (I'm eating diner and switching between the compueter and the TV news)
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

billmc wrote:OK, I'm begining to get a better understanding, but I still believe there is an issue with the, if you'll allow me to use the phrase, "auto mounting stuff".
Here's some things I'd like you to try for me.
Let's start with the computer shut off. Disconect the USB cable leading to the external drive, from the box. Turn the compuetr on. After it boots up, open nemo and open a terminal window along side the nemo window, so that you can see both at the same time. In the terminal widow, enter the mount command -> mount

And correct both usb do not and are unconnected but nemo shows the Ntfs partitions as it should being internal drive.
Disconnected Usb Drives.png
Because the external drive is not connected, it should not show up in either nemo or the the output of mount.
Correct!
Next, connect the usb cable. The system should recognize the external drive being attached, you should see it appear in nemo. Depending upon whether or not it automounts, the mount command output may or may not show the now connected external drives. If executing mount a second time does not show the external drives then, one at a time, in nemo click on a drive to have it mount, verify it is mounted with the mount command, then click on the next drive and verify that also gets mounted.

/dev/sdg1 on /media/orbmiser/320GB TOSHIBA type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdh1 on /media/orbmiser/697GB Drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

Yes they appeared in Nemo.
Usb Appear.png
Assuming you've disabled the autologin, log out. Wait a minute or so, log back in and bring up nemo and the terminal window again. When you've gotten back in, I want to know if nemo still sees the drives and if the mount command still shows them being mounted or not, and if you saw the error messages indicating the drives are already mounted.
Yep waited 90 seconds or more. And Nemo & Term mount shows them there.

Code: Select all

/dev/sdg1 on /media/orbmiser/320GB TOSHIBA type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdh1 on /media/orbmiser/697GB Drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
billmc

Post by billmc »

Did you log out and log back in, leaving the drives connected? If so, what happened?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

As stated : Yep waited 90 seconds or more. And Nemo & Term mount shows them there.

Also interesting is I cold booted 8 times. All the Odd boots showed no drives in Nemo or Term mount command. All even boots showed drives in Nemo and Term! So a 50/50 affair.

Then logged out and waited over 30 seconds each time. And Nemo continued to show drives there when they were originally there before logging out.

On Win7 side at the moment as Client needed some Images packaged and sent to him. And waiting for changes requests.
So won't be back to mint side for another hour or so?

Return to “Storage”