I'm seriously considering switching to Linux Mint....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Orbmiser

Re: I'm seriously considering switching to Linux Mint....

Post by Orbmiser »

Code: Select all

"I never have any of the "crashes", "lockups", files coming up missing, and other "unknown, and unwanted" files, getting made automaticly, etc,..Windows is pure malware, I really don't see why or how it has become such a "popular" Os,"
Because Big Business Rules the Lemmings & Sheep! They just want to Clicky not actual learn to use the computer.

But your other statements are wildly inaccurate for Me anyways and most my friends I know. Running Windows 7 last 3-4 years with little in the way of BSOD,Malware,Viruses,etc.. Been smoothly operating for that long as am educated in knowing what to and what not to do on it. Antivirus protection installed and regular cleaning out and keeping the system tuned.

And it's Not Windows that makes it a piece of Crap to use. It's the User's with their Blindly Clicking this and that without a Clue what they are doing. And have no motivation to learn to keep in running smooth. Just like their cars not a clue and just running it till it doesn't run anymore without the least amount of preventive maintenance. As been a Computer & Electronics Technician going on 35 years.

Now of course Linux is a better & secure system that is powerful,flexible to get serious work done. But it is also one with a learning curve. Just like windows if you don't know what you are doing then it is much easier to Bork a Linux system than a Windows one.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Orbmiser wrote:

Code: Select all

"I never have any of the "crashes", "lockups", files coming up missing, and other "unknown, and unwanted" files, getting made automaticly, etc,..Windows is pure malware, I really don't see why or how it has become such a "popular" Os,"
Because Big Business Rules the Lemmings & Sheep! They just want to Clicky not actual learn to use the computer.

But your other statements are wildly inaccurate for Me anyways and most my friends I know. Running Windows 7 last 3-4 years with little in the way of BSOD,Malware,Viruses,etc.. Been smoothly operating for that long as am educated in knowing what to and what not to do on it. Antivirus protection installed and regular cleaning out and keeping the system tuned.

And it's Not Windows that makes it a piece of Crap to use. It's the User's with their Blindly Clicking this and that without a Clue what they are doing. And have no motivation to learn to keep in running smooth. Just like their cars not a clue and just running it till it doesn't run anymore without the least amount of preventive maintenance. As been a Computer & Electronics Technician going on 35 years.

Now of course Linux is a better & secure system that is powerful,flexible to get serious work done. But it is also one with a learning curve. Just like windows if you don't know what you are doing then it is much easier to Bork a Linux system than a Windows one.
I don't know who you're quoting in this thread, I guess it is from another thread.

I'm a long-time Windows XP user and I've borked many a Windows install. It is as easy as 1-2-3.
  • 1. remove boot drive
    2. connect to different PC
    3. boot with same drive
    4. presto, you're Borked!
That's the worst part, because even if you have the same or similar hardware on another PC, windows detects the change from the BIOS or cpu serial number or something like that and will refuse to load the proprietary drivers, instead defaulting to the generic OEM drivers. Of course another issue is the Windows genuine advantage thing, it does not like taking one windows install over to another computer.

But then just a few weeks ago, I had a similar experience with a Linux distro, I forget which one. Possibly Xubuntu. I installed it to a drive, cloned the drive, connected the clone to a different pc that had the exact same brand of motherboard, but it wouldn't boot at all. I have no idea why.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

It was to the person above my post.

And of course if you:

1. remove boot drive
3. boot with same drive

Talking here of one user's daily use usually on one machine. Over time of daily using.
Not swapping a configured xp for a specific machine and putting it in another machine. Of course it will bork!

Just trying to point out it's not so much the OS as it is the operator. Lacking in protecting their system and lacking in educating themselves to do that in a proficient manner. Not to say Windows doesn't have it flaws which most are to do with poorly designed and poorly tested device drivers from 3rd party. Which the majority of BSOD's are attributed too. And yes there is some bloatware. But truth be told again mostly from 3rd party software.

Which come to think of it. Those things can also happen on Linux machine go figure!
Go into any Linux forum and find just as many frustrated newbies there as in windows forums.

I like Windows 7 and Love Mint Cinnamon 14
But that doesn't mean sometimes I want to rip the computers innards Out! :shock:
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Orbmiser wrote:It was to the person above my post.
From the forum index, I think I clicked on your post by accident and assumed it was a new thread. D'oh!
Orbmiser wrote:And of course if you:

1. remove boot drive
3. boot with same drive
I mean a different PC--with the exact same motherboard and cpu. Like I've got several PC's that have a specific brand of motherboard, the ASUS E35M1-M which uses the E-350 apu. Each PC has four gigs ram. In my opinion, if I clone a drive with a fully installed, configured OS, I should be able to plug that drive into a PC, and the OS should at least attempt to load the installed proprietary drivers--why not? Well, with Windows, that has never worked, what happens is that generic drivers are loaded and I have to install the proprietary drivers all over again. I tried it with Xubuntu 12.10, and Xubuntu wouldn't boot at all. However if this is possible in Linux then that would be great, another advantage.

Return to “Open Chat”