how to restore an image backup to a different sizeHD [SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glore2002

how to restore an image backup to a different sizeHD [SOLVED

Post by glore2002 »

Hello!

I made a Redobackup image of my linuxmint 14.1 system. This is a 160Gb Hard Disk. I made a complete backup (all partitions).
Now, I want to restore that image but to a 320Gb Hard disk. What should I do to modify partition sizes to use the new hard disk to its full capacity? Is this possible in linux?

Now, my partitions are: Swap: 2Gb; /: 58GB and /home: around 99Gb. I would like to make them (on the new disk): Swap: 2Gb; /: 100Gb and /home: The rest.

Thanks in advace,
Glore2002.-
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dyfi

Re: how to restore an image backup to a different size HD

Post by Dyfi »

My choice would be to restore the image to your new hard drive and then resize the partitons using gparted from a live CD.
glore2002

Post by glore2002 »

Thanks for your reply Dyfi but How can I resize swap, / and /home. I see how to expand /home because it is the last partition but How can I move /home to make room for expanding / and swap?

Don't know if this was clear :-) Thanks!
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Select you home partition, right click, select the option to reize/move. Moving a partition could take quite a long time. Once your /home is moved, the other partitions can be either moved or expanded.

Return to “Installation & Boot”