Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon roadmap

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon roadmap

Post by bimsebasse »

Just stumbled upon this, very interesting read: https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap

Projected changes for Cinnamon 1.8
MAIN FEATURES

- Desklets [dalcde]
- Ability for cinnamon-settings to browse/install/remove/update themes/applets/extensions/desklets remotely [clem]
- Bumpmaps [esteban] [dalcde]
- Control Center (Cinnamon and GNOME properties within one same settings tool) [clem]
- Rethink Cinnamon 2D, fallback to a non-shadow CPU-less intensive session in software rendering mode and/or Muffin/OpenBox (whatever happens, the user should know he's not running the "real" Cinnamon, he should be told why, and he should find himself with a working WM (even a minimalistic one like OpenBox)).

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

- Configurable color schemes for themes
- Calendar events - similar to KDE's implementation [clem]

NEW APPLETS

- email notifier (imap/pop)
- Pulse-like RSS reader

NEW DESKLETS

- System monitor
- Picture, video, slideshow frame
- Terminal
All looking pretty awesome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon roadmap

Post by Orbmiser »

Also Nice!

Nemo 1.8
MAIN FEATURES

- Action API (reads desktop files in /usr/share/nemo/launchers.
An action is basically a text file which defines a name, an icon, an executable and which file extensions nemo shows the action for when the file is right-clicked. A typical example of this would be a "Edit tags" action which would apply to *.mp3 files.).
- Disk Management (mintdisk integration etc..)
- File preview
- UI improvements (sidebar selection, independent path bar, better looking breadcrumbs etc..)

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

- Add devices to MoveTo/CopyTo

Think release around Christmas? :P
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Wow! Looks like some really awesome changes in the works! :D :) :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

A little offtopic: what's got my attention there is the last line in the file:
- R&D on "from scratch" package base and investigation on pros and cons of dpkg compared to other packaging systems (multi-version installation, static/dynamic support, snapshots, delta, update reversals etc..)
Yeah, not related to Cinnamon, but sounds interesting nevertheless.
I immediately remembered about SolusOS which is (probably) moving from Debian base to its own, incorporating Pardus' PiSi package management system on the way.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'd already see the roadmap file, but yeah, it looks very enticing :D
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Wow, this is very interesting. I think some of the planned features address some of the complaints about Mint 14, like the fragmentation of settings between Gnome Settings and Cinnamon Settings and Cinnamon 2D being slow on older machines (which are the ones which need to run Cinnamon 2D). I'm excited about desklets and the applet/theme installation from Cinnamon Settings. I'd also love to see Cinnamon 2D use OpenBox (not sure of the actual benefit, but it would be really cool).

I'd like to see the software manager become visually similar to the Ubuntu Software Center and the Deepin Software Center, although I don't want it to put on too much extra weight.

I think it would be interesting for the live-installer to get new features and a face lift, similar to what SolusOS is doing (http://solusos.com/blog/2012/11/personal-update/), as they use live-installer also. It is long overdue for both a face lift and new features (although I find it very nice right now - it is simple and functional). EFI support is important.

DDM will (hopefully) be added in Mint 15. Hopefully by then it will support hybrid graphics cards.

Personally, I doubt the "from-scratch" thing is particularly significant. I think they will basically be looking into other options, but I don't think they're ready to make any massive changes - they seem to be trying to focus a little bit more, rather than adding new projects. They've dropped Ubuntu-based FluxBox and LXDE, and LMDE Xfce, so I doubt they're trying to add too much work. I'd be really interested in what they found, though, and if another package manager was superior in their opinion (although I haven't found one). I'd love to see an Arch-based Mint though (probably never going to happen, but I can dream :lol: ).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Nice summary of the roadmap just done on Web Upd8: What To Expect From Linux Mint 15 (Cinnamon, Nemo Changes). They have screenshots already :lol:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

That's an interesting article (although they basically regurgitated what was already written), but they don't really make it clear that live-installer is the LMDE installer, and it won't be used in Mint 15 (because it's in debian).
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Feels good sniffing out Linux news before Webupd8 :)

Good article and great to see he's following Cinnamon development, Cinnamon's slowly catching up steam.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I just read an article in Linux Format #166 (January 2013 issue) comparing the "alternative" desktop environments; Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, Trinity, and Razor-Qt.
[Cinnamon] provided a seamless fusion of Gnome 3 glitz and Gnome 2 usability. Linux Mint wins again.
Well, I'm glad to see my recent experience with Cinnamon echoed here :mrgreen:
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

In the 9 months I have been using Mint/Cinnamon I have really become a fan of Clem and Co. They have a great vision. I like the road map. I am amazed at how far Cinnamon has come in such a short time. Then at the same time whipping up a new file manager. A nice one at that!
After years of drearily using Windows and OSX it is a joy to be using an OS that is being designed with such excellent UX engineering. I can't wait to see whats next. Not only is Mint an excellent OS but it is also an exciting project to watch develop. A shining example of excellence.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

A recent changeset gives a hint about what's already done and what tasks have the priority. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”