igor83 wrote:It is interesting that you say the 32-bit version does not have this issue, because I've noticed other problems with launching batch files from Thunar as well. I have noticed that batch files may have a maximum size of one line if launched from Thunar. Any more, and they won't work at all. That seemed like such a severe problem that I was suspicious I might be doing something wrong. Can you get a batch file to launch as a custom action from Thunar that executes more than one line?
MD5 Checksum action item (with multiple lines) does what it's meant to here.
Does it work in your 64-bit install ?
Note: to be clear, the above problem you are referring to, I have only verified in Xubuntu 12.10, not
Linux Mint Maya Xfce.
Xubuntu has some funky ways of its own.
From Thunar, I've tested a custom action that calls a shell script with the following lines:
Code: Select all
vlc "$1" & sleep 5 && xscreensaver-command -activate
This script is fully documented here
. If I add lines above the second one, such as an if...then, checking for whether the selected file exists in order to avoid the dreaded VLC file-not-found endless loop (*if you have auto-rewind selected as a playlist option in VLC), well Linux Mint Maya Xfce will not accept any lines more than two, as a custom action from Thunar, at least in my testing. Although it is quite possible I'm overlooking something basic, as I'm a Linux novice!
Overall, there are things I like about Xfce, but I really do miss a lot of the usability and convenience I found in Mate, and didn't have quite so many unusual issues in Mate to my recollection. I know that another fellow has been calling Nadia Xfce the "worst release ever;" that seems pretty harsh. But, when I got myself a laptop there was no question which distro/desktop to install. Linux Mint Maya Mate, and I'm very pleased with it. But I will retain Xfce on my desktop because I've spent so many hours customizing it that it's about as good as Mate in many respects. If I could get this quirk with shell scripts ironed out, and figure out why Xfce won't permanently delete files, that would be nice.
Today it occurred to me that Xfce may be choking because of some atypical system configuration parameter, such as noatime in every entry in my fstab, or tmpfs for /tmp. The perm. remove may depend upon access time or something like that and may break because I optimized the system for efficiency. That would also explain why nobody else has raised their hand and said, "Yeah, this bug happened to me too."