unable to enumerate SD card

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gonzobilbao

unable to enumerate SD card

Post by gonzobilbao »

Hi!

I got this problem using ubuntu 12.04, fedora 17 and linux mint 13 and 14 on my hp ENVY 4 1050ca
cannot read SD cards when plugged to an external reader, or when plugged directly to the built in card reader.
dmesg shows the following message

Code: Select all

unable to enumerate device on port x
(by x I mean the port it is plugged to)

gparted and disk utility do not recognize SD devices as well.

Curiosly, when my card is plugged to the external reader and I plug a second USB device, it automounts and it is read with no problem; also if it is plugged to the external reader at the moment of powering the computer it automounts... but the if it is unplugged it doesn't work anymore.

My windows partition is able to recognize de SD device with no problems though (both using the built-in and the external reader.

Hope anybody has an idea of what to do, i have been trying to solve this for a bunch of months now!!

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheForumTroll

Re: unable to enumerate SD card

Post by TheForumTroll »

Have you looked at this: http://www.geekdevs.com/2010/04/solved- ... -ehci_hcd/ ? Guessing your card reader uses USB.
gonzobilbao

Post by gonzobilbao »

I have tried everything on the post, but nothing is working so far.
I got this output when trying modprobe -r ehci_hcd

FATAL: Module ehci_hcd is builtin
is there any other way to disable ehci_hcd?
TheForumTroll

Post by TheForumTroll »

I haven't tested it but the post mention a solution to your problem.
Since Karmic doesn’t use ehci_hcd as a module, modprobe -r ehci_hcd no longer works. The module is compiled into kernel.
There are some commands in the last part of the article that should fix it, but I have no idea what they do. Maybe someone who knows script-fu can chime in :|
gonzobilbao

Post by gonzobilbao »

None them have worked so far. According to the article I should get one code such as sudo

sh -c 'echo -n "0000:00:xx.x" > unbind'
, (where xx.x are number and letters) but I get two

0000:00:1a.0  0000:00:1d.0  bind  module  new_id  remove_id  uevent  unbind
so i've used each, but still, no result...
Doctor_Pi
Level 1
Level 1

Does the Envy 4-1050ca Support Virtualization

Post by Doctor_Pi »

Dear gonzobilbao,

Sorry for hijacking your thread here, but I didn't where to ask this question.

Does the Envy 4-1050ca support Intel's virtualization technologies (VT-x and VT-d)?

Ivan
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ Doctor_Pi: Please open a new topic. It may be in Newbie Questions if you don't know where else to post it. There please use New Topic button. Probably you didn't see the button at first because you were not logged in yet.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
TheForumTroll

Post by TheForumTroll »

Have you tried comparing what happens when you mount it alone and together with something else? (Working vs. not working)

tail -f /var/log/syslog
Then insert it.

EDIT: That should show you if it uses ehci_hcd or something else (uhci_hcd?):
usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci_hcd

@Doctor_Pi: Next time please create a new topic. But anyways, yes it does.
gonzobilbao

Post by gonzobilbao »

Hi everyone

I have tried what you said TheForumTroll, here is the output

usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
usb 3-1: Device not responding to set address.
usb 3-1: Device not responding to set address.
usb 3-1: device not accepting address 4, error -71
hub 3-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
plugging the device directly to the built-in card reader nothing comes out like this.

Cheers!
gonzobilbao

Post by gonzobilbao »

any clue on this? thanks!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please post the outputs of these commands:

lspci
lsusb
gonzobilbao

Post by gonzobilbao »

ok, so to lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1bcf:2c0e Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. 
and to lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5289 (rev 01)
01:00.2 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 0a)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

01:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5289 (rev 01)
That seems to be your built-in cardreader. There is currently no support for this one on Linux.

Could you try connecting the USB cardreader to a USB 2.0 port instead of a 3.0 one? Or do you have a laptop with only 3.0 ports?
gonzobilbao

Post by gonzobilbao »

Still does not work as expected. But same as I said in the beggining of this thread, when I plug the USB card reader to any port, nothing happens, but if then I plug a USB stick to any of the ports left, the card reader is detected and the SDcard mounted.

Cheers
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

What's the problem with that? It's quite normal for cardreaders to be detected only as soon as a card is inserted. Or do you mean it only works if you insert the card before connecting the reader?
gonzobilbao

Post by gonzobilbao »

AlbertP wrote:What's the problem with that? It's quite normal for cardreaders to be detected only as soon as a card is inserted. Or do you mean it only works if you insert the card before connecting the reader?

What I mean with that is that when my SD cards are inserted using a USB reader nothin happens. BUT if then I plug in a SECOND USB device (i.e a memory stick) to any of the remaining ports then the card will be detected and mounted.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

I just solved my own SD card reader problem with a Realtek 5229. Fortunately, Realtek provides a linux driver for mine. Yours seems to be a similar issue, so I checked Realtek's site, but I did not see the same sort of fix available. I did look a couple minutes longer and found:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=109447.0

It looks like nearly the same steps and went pretty smooth when I did mine. Hope it works for you.
gonzobilbao

[SOLVED]Re: unable to enumerate SD card (realtek semicond. 5

Post by gonzobilbao »

WOW i' m impressed, it worked perfectly, quick and easy!!! Have been looking for something for months now, wonderful!! Thanks!! :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”