workspace switcher applet no longer show numbers

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
obidamnkenobi
Level 1
Level 1

workspace switcher applet no longer show numbers

Postby obidamnkenobi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:58 pm

As the title says; the workspace applet no longer show numbers for each workspace, instead it's just a green box. See below. This happened all of a sudden. I've rebooted, restarted Cinnamon, removed and readded the applet but to no avail. Did this change for some reason? What am I missing?

edit: I'm an idiot. I changed to another theme which changed it!
Thanks to bimsebasse
Attachments
workspace_switcher.png
workspace_switcher.png (20.77 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Last edited by obidamnkenobi on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

obidamnkenobi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: workspace switcher applet no longer show numbers

Postby obidamnkenobi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:46 am

Really? Nobody?
I tried to reinstall Cinnamon previously and stuff got real weird so I did a clean install for LM 14, so I really don't want to do that again for something this small..

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby bimsebasse » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:55 am

That's down to the theme you're using, and it's mine (Ambiance Mint) :D

I made it like that as that was how it worked in Gnome 2 - and in your screenshot it's very easy to see, without numbers, that there are three workspaces and the first of the three is active.

To return to a numbers scheme change to pretty much any other theme in Cinnamon Settings.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

obidamnkenobi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby obidamnkenobi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 am

bimsebasse wrote:That's down the theme you're using, and it's mine (Ambiance Mint) :D

I made it like that as that was how it worked in Gnome 2 - and in your screenshot it's very easy to see, without numbers, that there are three workspaces and the first of the three is active.

To return to a numbers scheme change to pretty much any other theme in Cinnamon Settings.

ahh! I see! I thought I messed with the themes trying to change it, but maybe not. doh!

I like the theme though, and think I'll stick with it. Was just wondering what was going on. I've been going back and forth whether or not I like it, and I certainly see your logic for how it works.
Thanks!

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby bimsebasse » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:18 am

If you want numbers in them anyway, you can edit this bit in cinnamon.css:

Code: Select all

.workspace-button {
text-shadow: 0px 1px 1px rgba(0,0,0,0.0);
width: 24px;
color: #292826;
background-color: #292826;
border: 2px solid #444;
}

.workspace-button:outlined {
    background-color: #accd8a;
    color: #accd8a;
}

Inactive workspaces have dark grey #292826 color text on #292826 color backgrounds (invisible) and outlined/active workspaces have green #accd8a color text on #accd8a color backgrounds. To get visible text, simple change the two "color:" values.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

Return to “Cinnamon”