If you compile - remember build-essential

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

If you compile - remember build-essential

Post by Husse »

For compiling to work build-essential must be installed

Code: Select all

apt install build-essential
note that code only works in Daryna. "Normal code" is

sudo apt-get install build-essential
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: If you compile - remember build-essential

Post by JohnH »

Hi Husse,

I'm sure this is important, but what does it do and why do we need it?

Regards

John
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

build-essentials is just a meta package, it depends on all the most common tools used when compiling. So instead of having to manually install them as you need them, build-essentials does that for you. You will not need it if you do not compile anything yourself.. :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I've actually been trying to compile everything lately, makes for a more customized install.
For those who don't know, when you run an install from Synptic, a .deb., or even apt-get from console, you get a pre-configured set-up, great if you have pretty standard hardware, but if you are like me, (lets hope you're not, cause I like to "break" my system, just to learn how to fix it) and add new hardware, or have some odd hardware, this can create problems. Compiling from source, (as I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong) scans your set-up, (hardware, kernel, drivers, etc.) and then compiles the program according to your particular system, making for an install more customized to you and your computer. Also compiling from source allows you to decide where to install something, by default everything (well, almost everything) gets installed in /usr/bin, but compiling from source lets you add some option inputs to install wherever you like.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Gentoo uses this with their package manager (Portage) where you more or less compile each installation. This could be great for some, and a good way to learn how Linux works etc, but what you gain from it is nothing more than a personalized system and a tiny bit of performance boost.
However, if you want to compile, Debian based systems are not the best way to go. Slackware, Arch Linux and of course Gentoo are much better for those purposes..
--Dean Martin
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

MagnusB wrote:Gentoo uses this with their package manager (Portage) where you more or less compile each installation. This could be great for some, and a good way to learn how Linux works etc, but what you gain from it is nothing more than a personalized system and a tiny bit of performance boost.
However, if you want to compile, Debian based systems are not the best way to go. Slackware, Arch Linux and of course Gentoo are much better for those purposes..
I've thought about trying Arch, Slackware just seems like it's software selection is too old, and for some reason Gentoo, which is the one I really want to try, can't see any of my hard drives, I've tried minimal, live cd, and live dvd, both the graphical and cl installs, and none of them seem to want to see my drives.
I mainly use use the compile to further my knowledge in Linux, and how to get things the way I want.
So I guess what I'm saying, or rather asking, is Arch worth a look?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Arch is great, way easier to configure that most distro's if you know a bit about your hardware and what you need. Follow the New user guide, and you should make it to the finish line without any major issues, I would think :) However, it is text based installer that only installs kernel and a shell, all other software needs to be added manually after installation (GNOME/KDE, GDM/KDM etc etc). Be prepared to use the CLI if you want to install it...
--Dean Martin
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

CLI is not much of an issue for me, (if I can compile, I think I can make it through a cl install, besides that's I installed Debian Lenny), I think I'll give it a shot, Hardy's not bad, but I think I can wait for Mint to adopt the new features as they aren't that radical that I have to have them now. So I'll remove Hardy and try Arch, and see how it is.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Okay, then where should I place the new driver? What directory? And how do I navigate there to run the installer? Should I also copy the installer there?

Very frustrated.
Husse

Post by Husse »

kwatson512 wrote:Okay, then where should I place the new driver? What directory? And how do I navigate there to run the installer? Should I also copy the installer there?

Very frustrated.
???
And what's the relevance of this post in this topic? :x
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Hesse,
The relevance is that I followed the link you sent me in another topic. Sorry. I'm new and just trying to figure things out.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Husse,

And I apologize again. I realize I misspelled your name in the last reply. :?
Husse

Post by Husse »

The relevance is that I followed the link you sent me in another topic.
OK but how do you think we would know that and know which topic and where to find it.
However put in the first topic this would make sense
(Oh don't expect me to remember any posts - I can write close to a hundred posts some days)
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cubby »

McLovin wrote: Compiling from source, (as I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong) scans your set-up, (hardware, kernel, drivers, etc.) and then compiles the program according to your particular system, making for an install more customized to you and your computer. .
I don't know if this is how it works, but I was recently thinking how it would be great if installing packages through the package manager/apt would scan your computers hardware and os when you chose to install anything, like it does when you initially install the os. I'm asking too much here, but I can dream. :)
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

If the software you want to compile is in the repositories (maybe you want to build a newer version or want to apply some patches), the apt-get build-dep command is userful for getting all the build dependencies.

sudo apt-get build-dep PROGRAM
gychang

Post by gychang »

is this necessary for tar.gz?

gychang
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

if you are downloading tar.gz packages for compiling, yes.
dutch1

Post by dutch1 »

hi, i do not really know if this item is in the right place in this discussion, but I am looking now for a long time for a simple list of (sudo)-commands if i have to deal with .gz, .gaz. rpm etc.
I am trying to install those files on my computer for a long time but for one or another reason it does not work.
Of course I do realise that with Synaptic I have the most progs I need, but nevertheless....

Hope one can he;lp me or direct m to a place where I can find it all

Hans
dutch1

Post by dutch1 »

dutch1 wrote:hi, i do not really know if this item is in the right place in this discussion, but I am looking now for a long time for a simple list of (sudo)-commands if i have to deal with .gz, .gaz. rpm etc.
I am trying to install those files on my computer for a long time but for one or another reason it does not work.
Of course I do realise that with Synaptic I have the most progs I need, but nevertheless....

Hope one can he;lp me or direct m to a place where I can find it all

Hans

Please, can anybody give me a simple list, or

direct me to a page where i can fuind a list like that?

Hans
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think you will find some interesting info here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... eb_package
For rpm packages look up alien

Return to “Beginner Questions”