Linux Mint Instsallation icon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintgum

Linux Mint Instsallation icon

Post by mintgum »

Hello,
I installed Mint along with Windows 7 (dual-boot), and now I see on Mint desktop a CD icon named "Linux Mint Instsallation", so I am confused, didn't I install it already? what is this icon for? it means I need to finish the installation by clicking this icon?
ty!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint Instsallation

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

When finish your install the system ejects the DVD ask to hit enter before preceding if you didn't do that then your computer is booting from the DVD. I never installed using USB so I don't know if the same occurs but you shouldn't see a "Linux Mint Instsallation" on your desktop.

Use System Monitor>File Systems you should see a / dev/sda2/ (or sda plus another number depending on your configuration) that's you linux system. If you don't see anything you haven't installed LinuxMint.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint Instsallation

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mintgum.
I installed Mint along with Windows 7 (dual-boot), and now I see on Mint desktop a CD icon named "Linux Mint Instsallation"
Currently this is the normal behaviour.
didn't I install it already?
Strictly speaking: No, not really.
The steps which mint4win performs inside Windows are merely preparing the real Linux Mint installation which should launch automatically after rebooting the machine, but sadly this automatic startup of the real Linux Mint installation stopped working Mint 12 or so.

This is why ever since then Mint4win users have to click the "Install Linux Mint" button manually.
what is this icon for? it means I need to finish the installation by clicking this icon?
Correct.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
mintgum

Re: Linux Mint Instsallation icon

Post by mintgum »

Thanks for replies, I have 1 more question, this it asks me for mnsallation asks for disk space, but I already provided it with 18 GB on the windows installer, what should I do, if I tell the installation to use 6GB it means the total amount of Linux on my hard drive would be 18+6 =24? I am afraid that using this installation icon will damage Windows 7.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint Instsallation icon

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mintgum.

May I suggest to go through the installation steps explained here: Installing Linux Mint 13 32-bit xfce via Mint4win.

Note:
Please, ignore any explanation about correcting the installation ISO file. This affected Mint 13 x86 only, not Mint 14.
Please, ignore any instruction given for the XFCE desktop only, unless you are installing Mint 14 XFCE.

The answer directly related to your question about the already assigned disk space for Mint 14 can be found in the section "Mint4win Installation Steps under Linux Mint 13 Live System", items (6), (7), (8).
And do not get irritated because in the instruction the root.disk has been created with a size of 25 GB. Your 18 GB root.disk should be perfectly all right as well.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”