Unable to add custom launcher to LM 14 Cinnamon panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdh76

Unable to add custom launcher to LM 14 Cinnamon panel

Post by rdh76 »

Hello,

I have a fresh install of LM 14 32-bit Cinnamon edition but I did use the backup tool to save and then restore my home directory from my previous install of LM 13 Cinnamon.

In LM13, by right-clicking the left side of the bottom panel, I was able to add custom launchers to the panel. With LM14, right-clicking still brings up the add launcher window, but nothing happens when I press "Add". The new launcher does not create. I also tested updating an existing launcher (right-click, then edit) to change its icon. Again, nothing happens when I press "Update". I can still add new items from the Menu (right click on menu item and add to panel, but then it won't let me customize them to my preferences. I created a desktop launcher and tried dragging and dropping but that feature does not seem to be supported yet.

I also have a fresh install of LM 14 32-bit Cinnamon on a netbook and this feature of adding custom launchers to the panel works properly. The only difference between the two installs is that the netbook is a totally clean, green fields install whereas after the clean install on my desktop and copied back my home directory from my LM 13 Cinnamon installation. Wondering if something got clobbered when I copied things back.

So, any help or ideas would be appreciated. I can provide more information if needed.

UPDATE: Just checked hidden files in home directory and found these. These are launchers from LM13 Cinnamon, new launchers from LM14 are not here so perhaps this directory and technique is no longer used in the new Cinnamon?

~/.cinnamon/panel-launchers $ ls -l

total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1 richard richard 150 Nov 10 15:42 cinnamon-custom-launcher-1.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 richard richard 123 Nov 10 15:38 cinnamon-custom-launcher-2.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 richard richard 97 Nov 25 16:51 cinnamon-custom-launcher-3.desktop

Thank you.
Richard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re: Unable to add custom launcher to LM 14 Cinnamon panel

Post by 3.14159 »

I did a little digging around because I needed to add items to the panel myself as well.

Directory:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/panel-launchers@cinnamon.org
In there is a file called 'cinnamon-add-panel-launcher.py' that you can run and it provides a GUI for adding launchers to the panel. I've tried it just now and it works a treat.

Hope this helps and hope it answers your questions. Sorry if I am way off base with the answer, but I read your post and promptly forgot the question while remembering how I thought you wanted it answered. Sorry... just woke up and am still priming my brain. :-D

I made a shortcut key combination to launch it for me since the right-click on the panel and add launcher doesn't work for me either. Just an idea, I guess. I used Alt+P for it.

Edit:
More information
rdh76

Post by rdh76 »

Thank you. Running that app from the command line failed the same as right-clicking the panel (it brings up the identical gui for adding launchers). However, I was able to see the error in the terminal window. It was a permissions problem in my .cinnamon directory in my home.

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/richard/.cinnamon/panel-launchers/cinnamon-custom-launcher-4.desktop'

All subdirectories and files where owned by root.

After performing the following command to reset permissions to my home user account, all is well again.

sudo chown -R richard:richard /home/richard/.cinnamon/*

Post by 3.14159 »

I'm glad it at least brought you to a solution.

:-)
pressmanbill

Post by pressmanbill »

I found that you can run the python script by right clicking on one of the default launcher icons, say Firefox or Terminal, then click Add from the drop down menu.

ps I also followed the above directions to run the python script directly; that is when I found that right-clicking as above works.

Return to “Cinnamon”