Mint 14 iso disc problems see photo

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ecoalex
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 14 iso disc problems see photo

Post by ecoalex »

`I dwnloaded mint14 cinnamon from distrowatch.I made a live disc. The disc burned with no errors.I'm currently using Mint 11.Why doesn't the iso disc give a working mint 14? Here's an image of the desktop,which changes to yellow .The panel also is not formed.Is this a defective disc? I use satellite internet connection,and a router. Thanks

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: Mint 14 iso disc problems see photo

Post by mank_in »

check if MD5sum of ISO , if is correct or not.
There is new LM 14.1 ISO to download . you can see : http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2234
Maybe you need try MATE version. Cinnamon not work with some graphic card , you can check your graphic card with Command line .
Open terminal ( ctrl+alt+t) :

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep like he mentions doesn't look to be a burned dvd issue. Looks like graphics driver issue.
And doing the inxi -Gx command in a term will give more info on graphics card used.
ecoalex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ecoalex »

I tried the terminal command got nowhere,what is wrong? Thanks

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

It sure looks like a graphics driver problem to me. Are any proprietary drivers listed in software sources? I have seen something very similar with ATI graphics when using the open source drivers but not to the degree your screenshots are showing.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Try in term.
lspci -nn | grep VGA
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

the right command is :

inxi -Gx
ecoalex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ecoalex »

Why would I have a graphics driver problem,when I don't with Katya?,zero graphics problems .

What's the story with this? Thanks for your look and opinions;)

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

ecoalex wrote:Why would I have a graphics driver problem,when I don't with Katya?,zero graphics problems .

What's the story with this? Thanks for your look and opinions;)

No, there must be a space between inxi and -Gx
tom@tom-PC ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics GLX Version: 4.2.11903 - CPC Direct Rendering: Yes
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ecoalex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ecoalex »

My bad,old age weak vision.I should of tried a space.Here's the results:

I found additional drivers in the mint 11 menu,installed the Nvidia graphics driver,but since I have the cinnamon desktop,it says it's for the unity desktop,the iso disc still had the graphics problem.I used another computer,with a different graphics card,and the iso loaded completely,and use was normal,so it is a problem with my Asus graphics .

Would installing this driver help cinnamon? How is this activated? Thanks to all ;)

mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Katya (LM11 ) is still using Gnome2. I think there is still a problem with geforce 6100 and geforce FX5xxx family with gnome shell and variant. I have bad experience with geforce FX 5500 from LM12. I am abandon using a card as well the machine it self ( old P4 with AGP mobo ).
Additional drivers move to menu>preferences>software source. But don't expect a good result ( you can try it anyway )
I am advise you are try MATE version.
ecoalex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ecoalex »

Thanks ,I ruined my Katya,had to reinstall trying the unity graphics driver.I'll wait.Strange how the cinnamon mint 14 works fine on my 2003 Hp Pavillion pentium 2,yet does not work on the 2007 ASUS AMD dual core desktop .All other Linux distros have worked just fine on the ASUS.
doantrungtk

Post by doantrungtk »

ecoalex wrote:Thanks ,I ruined my Katya,had to reinstall trying the unity graphics driver.I'll wait.Strange how the cinnamon mint 14 works fine on my 2003 Hp Pavillion pentium 2,yet does not work on the 2007 ASUS AMD dual core desktop .All other Linux distros have worked just fine on the ASUS.
i will try anyway but i don't fix problem. I tried reinstall and download the lasted version. But, it doesn't work
ecoalex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ecoalex »

Mint 14 Mate works just fine out of the optical drive in the ASUS machine,but Cinnamon...no.I'm told it's a graphics driver problem,which driver I need I don't know.I thought Mint came with all drivers needed?
linuxbastler

Post by linuxbastler »

I have the same problem here with my notebook.

Mint 13 Xfce and Xubuntu 12.04 are running fine.
If I try Mint 14 Xfce or Xubuntu 12.10 as live cd I also get a bad screen display, see pic attached.

inxi -Gx reports:
Graphics: Card: S3 VT8375 [Prosavage8 KM266/KL266]

So something in the basics has been changed, all new versions Xubuntu 12.10, Lubuntu 12.10 and Mint Xfce 14 show the same behavior here.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

@linuxbastler,
you didn't give information about your glx renderer, In LM13, my VIA PM800/900 show drivers in use is openchrome and GLX renderer is Gallium llvmpipe.
If LM13 works fine , i recommended keep used it ( and it supported until 2017 )
linuxbastler

Post by linuxbastler »

this is the complete output inxi -Gx gives me under Mint 13:
Graphics: Card: S3 VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: savage (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes

Under Mint 14, I can only switch to console by CTRL-ALT-F2: the output of inxi -Gx is:
Graphics: Card: S3 VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: savage (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size 80x20
Advanced Data: N/A out of X

no rendering, because I'm not in X? Only difference I see is a newer X-Org version.
linuxbastler

Post by linuxbastler »

I tested the live dvd of linux mint 14 mate today and did get the same efects.
Graphics is also not working with mate. I thought XFCE and mate are better for older computers like my notebook but seems like the whole series of mint 14 is not running on my notebook.

Return to “Installation & Boot”