new to linux and MINT no wireless connection to airport

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zen

new to linux and MINT no wireless connection to airport

Post by zen »

greetings - I am in desperate need of help.

I am new to linux and also new to mint by about an hour. I did my homewrok but not a geek and do not know command line. I am coming from mac Os X and tried ubuntu on a newly boughten jsut for linux laptop. Installed 3 times the last 3 days and no luck for many issues and any possible resolution. so I tried mint on a suggestion from someone in the UK.

anyway I cannot get this wrieless working. It is imperative that I use this laptop via wireless only!!!

I am on an aiprot extreme. this takes a password - 'text' for macs and no issues. the 1 windows old dell that my wife uses for school work at times has a hex code which I have... but nothing works the dell is connected but this linux one won't connect

please help and do not leave me hanging.

thank you!

p.s. i just downloaded wifi radar and it says cannot get ip address...did the same in ubuntu

it also states b instead of g and it did the same in ubuntu before going to g but I am clueless and stumped... I tried everything

the computer is 3 days old

the hex code is the long set of letter and numbers that go for the wep ebcryption on pc's I am on an older linksys 4 port router and a airport extreme inside or behind that. cable modem high speed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zen

Post by zen »

i am trying to load the zipped driver in termonal but I do not know how to do the commands re: the xipped file to unzip from my desktop. could someone help please? I may have found the correct driver. Not sure. thanks.
zen

Post by zen »

I do not know how to wrie the command to unzip the .exe driver from my desktop in terminal. Can someone help me out. I am stuck here at this point. thanks.
zen

Post by zen »

no wine - no windows....what is the command for this in terminal
zen

Post by zen »

any nibbles please? I really need to get the wirless and the sound fixed badly. It is crucial for the wireless to get fixed for using this laptop the way I want to in my home and office.

thank you very much
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

first off if its a .exe files it not for linux i wouldnt think, try opening synaptic from the control center and installing
airport-utils
bcm43xx-fwcutter

Download this file:
http://boredklink.googlepages.com/wl_apsta.o

then run this command

Code: Select all

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware /PATH/TO/WHERE/YOU/SAVED/DRIVER/wl_apsta.o
and then put it in the kernel folder too with this command

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` /PATH/TO/WHERE/YOU/SAVED/DRIVER/wl_apsta.o
youll probably need to reboot after this

if it still doesnt work eneter this command

modprobe bcm43xx
and reboot again.
zen

Post by zen »

hairy_Palms wrote:first off if its a .exe files it not for linux i wouldnt think, try opening synaptic from the control center and installing
airport-utils
bcm43xx-fwcutter

i did this yesterday i belive....

Download this file:
http://boredklink.googlepages.com/wl_apsta.o

this is saved as it is to the desktop..... when I download it it says nothing to open it wit so do I save it as it is???

then run this command

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware /PATH/TO/WHERE/YOU/SAVED/DRIVER/wl_apsta.o
and then put it in the kernel folder too with this command

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` /PATH/TO/WHERE/YOU/SAVED/DRIVER/wl_apsta.o
youll probably need to reboot after this

if it still doesnt work eneter this command

modprobe bcm43xx
and reboot again.
zen

Post by zen »

it didn't work the first command you gave me

Cannot open input file /PATH/TO/WHERE/YOU/SAVED/DRIVER/wl_apsta.o
zen@zen-linuxlaptop:~$

also if I get to that point --- in the following command that you gave me the username -r insingle quotes is that my realuser name - thanks - I told you i ws dumb and know no commnd line stuff.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

you need to substitute
/PATH/TO/WHERE/YOU/SAVED/DRIVER/wl_apsta.o
with wherever you download the file above,
eg /home/zen/Desktop/wl_apsta.o or whatever

noo 'uname -r' returns the name of the cureent kernel version.
zen

Post by zen »

ok when you had all those slashes in there I wasn't sure...

my fault. I apologize - I just learned not to assume anything with command line stuff or all hell breaks loose...
zen

Post by zen »

ok hold on I did it this time took me a few tries! (dumb americans, eh???? :-))))
zen

Post by zen »

ok 0 i am rebooting - thank you so very much for helping and stiking by me through this and not commenting and running away until 2 days from now....
zen

Post by zen »

Hairy ---- The light came on first time but I cannot get onto the internet....any clues - at least you helped me this far!!!!!

Cool what should i try the mod probe command??? awaiting your reply..tyhank you
zen

Post by zen »

it says in the wifiradar app I downloaded connected to K9DOG ip(NONE)

it should auto detect and I have the hecode in there the best that I know from my olde dell my wife uses. I am on airprot and airport takes text code as such or whatever you want to use - mine is just a word combination

do i have to try to find and use an ip address of or from the airport????

thank you
zen

Post by zen »

ok did the modprobe rebooted light still on no ip yet....any other suggestions.... we are on the right path...thanks

norman
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

try running wifi-radar from the terminal to see what messages it shows

sudo wifi-radar -d
zen

Post by zen »

thanks for the reply...i am working from powerbook since the other is offline at present - the linux laptop

when I ran it it comes back with dhclient3 --version 2>&1

thank you...i mean it!!!
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

no problem :)
i think you might need to install
wpasupplicant

[EDIT] oh and try running sudo iwconfig too[/EDIT]
to make your passwords etc work
then use wifi-radar to configure it
Last edited by hairy_Palms on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
zen

Post by zen »

Ok I am sorry - where do I get that? add and remove? please have patience

mu system is wep encrypted 128 bit

i have that - I also noticed that you have something listed under driver - I do not know of any driver info

thanks
Last edited by zen on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

same place as the other stuff,
System->Administration->Synaptic then search for wpasupplicant

Return to “Networking”