zip file as filesystem

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
forumisto

zip file as filesystem

Post by forumisto »

Hello

I have searched in google about how to mount a zip file in the filesystem for to read from it, but not write.
If I haven't explain good, that I want is to access to text files that they are in a zip file without descompresing the zip file. The advantage is that compression of text files is very high and you can save space in the hard disk.

Is it possible?

Thanks.

(Excuse my English)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: zip file as filesystem

Post by xenopeek »

Right-click the file if you are using Nemo, Caja or Nautilus as your file manager. Then select from the context menu "Open With Archive Mounter". This will mount the zip file as if it was a removable device. You can browse the zip file by clicking the newly mounted device in the file manager, its icon on the desktop, or you can go to /run/user/username/gvfs/ (replace username with your username) and you should find a folder there for this zip file. Unmount it when you are done (icon on the desktop).
forumisto

Post by forumisto »

I can see the context menu option what you says, I clicked, but the file doesn't mount :(

I use nautilus in a linux mint maverick
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 10 Julia, based on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, has been obsoleted since April this year. You would be recommended to install a newer version of Linux Mint. The current long-term support release is Linux Mint 13, with support till April 2017. The most recent release is Linux Mint 14, with support till April 2014. You can find all available downloads here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php.

You are currently using the GNOME 2 edition of Linux Mint 10, I guess. GNOME 2 has been discontinued by the GNOME developers. Your obvious alternatives on Linux MInt 13 and 14 are MATE and Cinnamon. MATE is a fork of GNOME 2, so it looks very familiar. Cinnamon is developed by the Linux Mint developers and it is based on GNOME 3, so based on modern technology, but implementing the classic desktop paradigm as familiar from GNOME 2.

It may be that this functionality isn't working the same on your version of Linux Mint. Since it has been obsoleted, I don't have it installed here any longer so not sure how to help you on this. If you don't want to install a newer version of Linux Mint, perhaps fuse-zip program is an option: https://code.google.com/p/fuse-zip/.

Return to “Other topics”