(Solved) Black screen on load.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beeman
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) Black screen on load.

Post by beeman »

I asked this question way back, didn't get an answer so am trying again.
I am trying to load Mint 14 onto a Acer, Aspire 5736Z, currently running Mint 10. I can hear the HD working, gets to what I assume is the end, but all I get is a black screen and a stopped HD.
Have tried two discs, 64 bit and 32 bit which load happily on other machines, but not this one.
Advice, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave W.

Re: Black screen on load.

Post by Dave W. »

Hello beeman.

Have you looked at this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=98120

Dave
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Your post is pretty vague to be fair so that could be why you haven't had much luck . . . . . . . am I right in saying you;re trying to install mint 14 over mint 10 to upgrade?
You're doing this from a CD rom which you've burned as an ISO file and checked the md5sum? You've tried the exact same disc in another machine and it works?

And the result is that you're not even getting to the screen where you can browse the live cd ?? do you mean you can hear the cd drive spinning not the hard drive ? Have you tried any other methods of installing on this machine like from a usb stick/unetbootin etc ?? If you can clarify a bit then you'll likely get better replies.
beeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beeman »

daveinuk wrote: Have you tried any other methods of installing on this machine like from a usb stick/unetbootin etc ?? If you can clarify a bit then you'll likely get better replies.
OK. I'll try again.
I am trying to upgrade a Mint 10 to Mint 14. The CD/DVD disc spins with a black screen, disc stops but nothing happens. Two discs tried 32 and 64 bits. I then tried with unetbootin with both 32 and 64 bits. Again at the end of what I assume is the load just a black screen.
I have even tried a different distro, still no luck.
I would like to see the live CD load so I can check all functions.
I have reset the bios in all cases, have downloaded new ISOs and checksum all. The machine boots into Mint 10 which I installed some time ago.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

You might want to bump your post a few times then and provide some more info on your graphics card, having googled 'live cd black screen' it's not an unknown issue but seems to come back to graphics cards on a lot of posts. If you can post your machines spec's someone may be able to help out, or maybe do the same search and see if any of the solutions other people have had success with work for you.
beeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beeman »

daveinuk wrote: seems to come back to graphics cards on a lot of posts. If you can post your machines spec's someone may be able to help out, or maybe do the same search and see if any of the solutions other people have had success with work for you.
True. Other forums confirm a graphics card problem. I have to drop it now as I have more serious problems. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”