CD drive won't eject

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darxsys

CD drive won't eject

Post by darxsys »

Hi.

I just tried to make a data CD with brasero that comes straight with Mint. It burned the disc, then after doing that "checksum" part said it can't eject the disc and that I manually need to eject it. I clicked on computer, but nothing there. Tried to check if it was mounted, nothing. The problem is I have samsung series 7 with that Mac style cd, so I don't have any eject buttons or anything like that on it. Now I'm stuck with a cd inside my laptop. I booted it into windows 7, it detects the drive, but says an error occurred while ejecting when I try to eject. The disc keeps on rotating in the drive but I just can't eject it. How can I fix this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: CD drive won't eject

Post by cwsnyder »

There should be a small round hole near the opening of the drive that you can poke a straightened paper clip into which should manually eject the disk. Or at least there were on the Mac disks with which I worked.
darxsys

Post by darxsys »

cwsnyder wrote:There should be a small round hole near the opening of the drive that you can poke a straightened paper clip into which should manually eject the disk. Or at least there were on the Mac disks with which I worked.

There is nothing near the opening of the drive. No holes. :(
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

http://www.google.com/search?q=eject+ma ... 35&bih=936 here are some pictures of methods used by Macs to force eject their CDs.
darxsys

Post by darxsys »

Thanks for help. I've managed to do it by restarting it a couple of times and hitting Fn + Delete keys directly on startup (when Samsung logo appears) and it ejected the CD. Something obviously went wrong with the CD because I inserted another one after it, works perfectly. Then I inserted that one again, and same thing happened, Mint doesn't even recognize the drive anymore and Windows throws an error. But restarting it and hitting those keys on startup made things work.
Eric vdM

Post by Eric vdM »

There is a terminal command to eject a CD (or DVD). It is called eject (what else?)
Barring hardware issues, this should work.

Return to “Hardware Support”