Radeon 7670m driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
igorbash

Radeon 7670m driver

Post by igorbash »

I have linux mint 14.1 64bit with cinnamon 1.6 and when i install the propieatary amd driver from the additional drivers and reboot the system it shows the cinnamon desktop in different way, how can i fix it?
also the fans are very noisy when i use linux mint but in windows the are quiter, i think the lack of graphic driver causes this,
please help me to find a soulution for this problem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Radeon 7670m driver

Post by xenopeek »

Please don't crosspost. I've deleted your other topic.

I'm not sure, but I think the AMD proprietary drivers may have problems with running Cinnamon. Could you share the output of the following command run from the terminal? It may be needed to help you. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see Its edit menu.

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

Graphics: Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Thames XT/GL [Radeon HD 7600M Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A

also when i try to run amd catalyst control centrel it says:
Initialization error:
There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.
No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, you have two graphics card--one from Intel and one from AMD. Possibly the following two topics will be helpful:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=119819
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 68#p635844

I'm no expert on these dual graphic problems (frankly, scares the bejeebers out of me) so I hope somebody else can pitch in on this also.
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

I tried the first one but now when i reboot to linux it doesnt even asks me my username and password and shows me some messege about x-server and i think i need to reinstall linux mint now, what should i do?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Try booting with the boot parameter "nomodeset xforcevesa" (add them without the quotes). You can add the boot parameter by in the GRUB menu (hold down shift during boot to get it to show), and press the 'e' key to edit. Then add the needed parameters on the line that starts with "linux". If that helps you log in successfully, you may be able to repair this issue from there. But like I wrote, I'm out of my depth there :(
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

okay but i can just format and reinstall the linux its no problem, but i need a solution for the driver problem if someone could help me i would be thankful :)
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

i installed the open source driver and it shows cinamon normaly but still the computer is really noisy what can i do about it?
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

Up
vicemore

Post by vicemore »

hi

i had the almost the same issue with the fan too with a 4870

the only sollution that worked for me was to modify the fan profiles of the graphic card bios.

baiscaly i saved into my pc the bios of my 4870 using gpu-z. ( to edit it and save it for backup)
i used rbe editor to cheange the fan profiles.
i used atiwinflash to flash my bios but i don\t recommend that. u can make a bootable disk in dos.

all under windows... idk if this will help you and sorry for my english
edit: not sure if it will even work on laptop video card, it is just a suggestion
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

okay, it sound difficult and dangerous, but thanks anyway :), anyone has other solution?
vicemore

Post by vicemore »

isn't that dificult
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQ7xHNkE5c
i don't recomend flashing from windows, that\s all.
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

Ok i will try it soon, but maybe there is another solution?
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

up
igorbash

Post by igorbash »

anyone found a soulution?
sdfgeoff

Post by sdfgeoff »

Thread Necrosis, but because this thread comes up on a search for this driver:

I am using Mint 15 with a Radeon 7670m and Intel dual graphics setup.
Admittedly I am using the XFCE4 desktop, and have not had any issues with it.

The instructions that I followed to set up the system are these ones:
http://anup07.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/ ... inux-mint/
(Hopefully the forum doesn't ban me from posting links)
When I first got the laptop and put Ubuntu on it, it took a couple of times to get the graphics card working. But over the past couple months, I've changed OS a couple of times, and got a lot of practice in, and the instructions do work if you are careful in following them.

Before the graphics drivers were correctly installed, the fan did run most of the time, but that was because it was running the graphics card at full-speed the entire time. Once the drivers were installed, the whole laptop cooled down (yes, it was slightly too hot to rest your hands on comfortably!), and the fan turned on only when needed.
Also makes a big difference in battery life, going from ~2 hours to 4-5 hours per charge.

--- edit---
The output for my inxi -Gx command is pretty similar to yours:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Thames XT [Radeon HD 7670M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: fglrx,intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
anup07

Post by anup07 »

Hi,

I have a ATI Radeon 7670m hd graphic driver in my HP Pavilion g6 2320tx laptop. I tried installing the ATI Driver using the steps given in the blog post https://anup07.wordpress.com/2013/08/03 ... inux-mint/ , it didn't work for me.

It worked for me when I was using Linux mint 15 perfectly. But now I've shifted to Linux Mint 17.

Can anyone please help me in finding me a working manual for installing graphic driver in Linux Mint 17.

The over heating problem is becoming a big issue for me. So please help me with that.

Regards,
Anup.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”