Unable to change resolution - Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dusko

Unable to change resolution - Linux

Post by Dusko »

I cannot change resolution on Linux Mint 14. When i run xrandr, it output's:

Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 61.0*
800x600 61.0
I'm using AMD 7670m graphic card. I installed Catalyst 12.1 but it didnt solved my problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Unable to change resolution - Linux

Post by cwsnyder »

You may want to read the responses to this thread: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=111745
flashbuddy56

Post by flashbuddy56 »

basic driver is just that, the basic driver,as long as you can see a desktop that's about all it douse.
sadly most of the unix os iv messed with so far cant even support a 20 year old video card and don't have drivers for them.
they support the video hardware in question in software mode only.
long story short install drivers and sadly its a real princess to do,im still working on that topic my self after a week of being at it
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

I found out something: To fix the "Failed to get size of gamma for output default" error, enter a dummy gamma entry on a line setting your output resolution, for example:

Code: Select all

xrandr --output default --gamma 1:1:1 --mode 1024x768
This can be the last line in a three line triplet of xrandr --newmode <modename> <frequency & pixel setting numbers> setting a new mode line on the first line, xrandr --addmode default <modename> and then the third line with both gamma and mode settings.

Return to “Beginner Questions”