Mint opening up my partitions after boot [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Surreal

Mint opening up my partitions after boot [SOLVED]

Post by Surreal »

I have Mint 14.1 Mate Edition installed (64bit) and ever since i have been using this new version i have this problem;

After each boot when i logon, Mint automatically opens up my 3 (auto) mounted NTFS partitions in Caja.

Now i don't reboot my computer that often but this started to occur after installing the latest Mint version and i can't figure
out why it's doing this...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint opening up my partitions after boot

Post by altair4 »

After each boot when i logon, Mint automatically opens up my 3 (auto) mounted NTFS partitions in Caja.
By "opens" you mean it launches the file manager to that partition's mount point or does it place 3 mount icon's on the desktop?

The latter will happen if you mount the partition to either /media or your home directory. Not sure what would cause the launching of caja. Almost sounds like it thinks it's a removable media like a USB stick or DVD?

Post the output of the following so folks here can see how you are set up:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab

mount
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

See if Caja is one of your startup programs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

For me have 5 Ntfs partitions 2 are usb external. And nemo shows them in file manager on boot up.

But they are not really mounted until I click on them. Check by mousing over one of them or right clicking.
If at the bottom of right click menu it says mount then they aren't mounted until you click on them. It's just nemo is aware of them there and giving you a easier gui way to mount them.

Also nemo runs on startup in processes even tho it's hasn't been launched. This is because Nemo is responsible for drawing and displaying devices on desktop.

Maybe same situation for Caja?
Surreal

Post by Surreal »

By opens i mean it opens the file manager to the mount point yes. I have disabled the partition icons to be shown on my desktop.

The partitions are mounted in my /home directory, during the installation process where you define your mount points i select the
NTFS partitions and type in the mount point there. For example my Music partition i type in "/home/stephan/Muziek" and so on for the other partitions.

Things is i have been doing it this way for as long as i can remember i have never seen this behaviour before when starting up my laptop.
It looks like what happens when you insert a USB drive, where the file manager launches and show you the content of that disk.

I have checked if Caja is among the startup programs but that isn't the case.

Here's my fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=6bd7f6c1-1023-46e5-bbd4-eb831fa14afe /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /home was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=9dd3f602-64fa-4fa8-8dfd-29e7acac370b /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
# /home/stephan/Documenten was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=0DBEF6BB45DB5FDD /home/stephan/Documenten ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
# /home/stephan/Muziek was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=29259FB86F26ADF5 /home/stephan/Muziek ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
# /home/stephan/Opslag was on /dev/sda9 during installation
UUID=452DEEF45943BDA1 /home/stephan/Opslag ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=21a746b1-ff9f-48f7-b308-281a85539fbf none            swap    sw              0       0
Here's my mount output;

/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
/dev/sda5 on /home type ext4 (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /home/stephan/Documenten type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda8 on /home/stephan/Muziek type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda9 on /home/stephan/Opslag type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/stephan/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=stephan)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm trying without success to reproduce this symptom in a Mate install I have in VBox.

Your fstab looks textbook correct so I don't think it that. Just out of curiosity if you were to disable "Browse media when inserted" ( caja > Edit > Preferences > Media ) , logout and login again does it go away?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Surreal

Post by Surreal »

altair4 wrote:I'm trying without success to reproduce this symptom in a Mate install I have in VBox.

Your fstab looks textbook correct so I don't think it that. Just out of curiosity if you were to disable "Browse media when inserted" ( caja > Edit > Preferences > Media ) , logout and login again does it go away?
I have followed the steps you described, after that i logged out a few times and i have rebooted my laptop a few times also.
The issue seems to be gone now :D

Thanks alot for your help altair4, and everyone else offcourse :)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint opening up my partitions after boot [SOLVED]

Post by altair4 »

I'm glad it resolved your issue but this brings up two issues / problems:

** When you insert a USB device it won't automatically launch caja anymore either.

** The bigger issue is why the heck is your OS treating these internal NTFS partitions like external USB partitions. Somethings discombobulated somewhere and I'm not sure where to look.
Surreal

Post by Surreal »

altair4 wrote:I'm glad it resolved your issue but this brings up two issues / problems:

** When you insert a USB device it won't automatically launch caja anymore either.

** The bigger issue is why the heck is your OS treating these internal NTFS partitions like external USB partitions. Somethings discombobulated somewhere and I'm not sure where to look.
The fact that it doesn't launch Caja doesn't bother me that much, however the solution is a work-a-round instead of actually addressing the problem.
What i failed to mention (makes me really feel stupid) is that i have a dual boot set up using Windows 7 + Mint, however this has never caused me any problems.
Tombu

Post by Tombu »

I also have my NTFS partitions launcing in Caja on login. Clean install, dualboots WinXP. Added the partitions in fstab manually. Edited the Caja settings as per instructions, now works as expected.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=2dcf2396-9235-4670-8877-b238f8c5e9cf /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
#UUID=a0d22920-18ac-443e-befa-3553a981596b none            swap    sw              0       0
#/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/mapper/cryptswap1 none swap sw 0 0
UUID=FED0D4F3D0D4B35F /media/Windows ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
UUID=A8C47500C474D1D4 /media/Viihde ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
UUID=72E4653BE4650329 /media/Sekalaista ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0

Return to “Beginner Questions”