Fresh Install over existing installation on dual boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackmg

Fresh Install over existing installation on dual boot?

Post by jackmg »

I have a dual boot set up with Windows 7 and Linux Mint 12. I want to keep the Windows 7 partition as is for compatibility needs in the workplace. I tried to use the Linux Mint 14 Live DVD to install into the existing Linux Mint 12 partition. Unlike earlier versions ISO's I used, I now get only three installation options:. One, install alongside existing partitions; two, erase disk and install on entire disk; three, something else. But the something else option does not include installing Mint 14 over the existing Mint 12.

How do I do this? I do not want to erase the 500 GB hard drive and lose the Windows partition. I do not want to further dice up the hard drive with yet another partition and OS version.

I understand the benefits of a fresh install with each new release. I also understand the disadvantages of an APT installation, especially when it jumps two versions. How do I do an installation from the ISO that over-writes the existing Linux Mint 12 partition?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Fresh Install over existing installation on dual boot?

Post by caf4926 »

Go the 'something else way'

If you only have one partition for mint you need only set that one - it's mount point is /

This guide shows having / and /home
but it should help
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3e0lL ... zVFNGpmd2s
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBrRL6iG0NM
Using the installer (ubiquity) after setting up your partitions with gparted, or installing over an existing install. Does not show a windows partition but I'm sure you'll get it
jackmg

Post by jackmg »

Before I go ahead and do this, I want to double check on a detail or two. My current Linux Mint installation is on SDA 5 EXT 4. The Windows partition is SDA2 NTFS. After watching the slideshow, I am confused over setting the mount point. The slide shows a change you added for a new mount point of /home on SDA6 and setting root at /.

To clarify, do I need to change the existing configuration as you did? What do I set as the mount point: / or /home? Must I create a new location as you did if I just want to install in the existing Linux Mint location? And must I format when done?

Sorry for my confusion. Thanks for your help.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

The slide show is just an example

Set the mount point for your partitions - you may only have one partition for Mint, which would be set as / on sda5 according to what you related.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Installation & Boot”