Broken notifications

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
montag dp

Broken notifications

Post by montag dp »

First off, let me say i really like Linux Mint and Cinnamon in particular.

I was experiencing some weird behavior with the notifications where sometimes they would be collected to the notifications applet and other times they wouldn't. In the latter case, sending a test notification with notify-send would produce a notification without an icon; in the former case, there would be an exclamation icon and it would be collected to the system tray.

Anyway, in the process of attempting to figure out why, I uninstalled and then reinstalled notify-osd. However, now the notifications look completely different. I think it might be "Unity-style," although I haven't used Unity enough to know for sure, but now there is an 'X' to close the notification and they do not get collected to the proper system applet at all; instead an icon appears on the system tray that looks like a "new message" icon, but this disappears after a few seconds and additional notifications aren't stored on the system tray.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing, but could someone give me some tips on how to get the default notification style in Mint back (that is, without reinstalling Mint)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
montag dp

Re: Broken notifications

Post by montag dp »

Well, I don't know what happened but now the notifications are back to normal. AFAIK I didn't install an update or anything since my last post, but maybe I actually did.

I'd still appreciate if anyone has some info on why the notifications seem to change style sometimes.

EDIT: sure enough, after rebooting the notifications are back to the non-normal style. This is confusing. Any help?

Return to “Cinnamon”