Any way to center Cinnamon Windows ????

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d00med

Re: Any way to center Cinnamon Windows ????

Post by d00med »

nomko wrote:
viking777 wrote:The instructions to use gdevilspie are on the link I gave starting about half way down with the words "To add a new rule using gDevilspie". About the only thing is doesn't tell you is that you have to manually position/size the windows you want before clicking 'get' . Everything else is more or less automatic. (you do have to have the deamon running but that is just a checkbox in the gui). I repeat though I only use this to centre my terminal window when it starts up I haven't investigated the more complex functions.
Didn't worked for me... Only the terminal pops up in the screen centre now, but that's it! Firefox still opens at the left side of the screen...
You have to make a new rule for each individual app you want to be centered.
nomko

Post by nomko »

d00med wrote:
nomko wrote:
viking777 wrote:The instructions to use gdevilspie are on the link I gave starting about half way down with the words "To add a new rule using gDevilspie". About the only thing is doesn't tell you is that you have to manually position/size the windows you want before clicking 'get' . Everything else is more or less automatic. (you do have to have the deamon running but that is just a checkbox in the gui). I repeat though I only use this to centre my terminal window when it starts up I haven't investigated the more complex functions.
Didn't worked for me... Only the terminal pops up in the screen centre now, but that's it! Firefox still opens at the left side of the screen...
You have to make a new rule for each individual app you want to be centered.
I did, but like i said, it doesn't work.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I did, but like i said, it doesn't work.
I investigated this some more by installing gdevilspie on Ubuntu. In that distro the settings which work perfectly well for me in Mint don't work at all. The reason for this (I think) is that Ubuntu is using Compiz and Compiz has its own settings for window placement (the Place effect in ccsm). So I guess I should ask you, have you installed compiz on Mint? (I don't even know if you can do that, but if you have done it that may be one reason that gdevilspie doesn't work for you).
nomko

Post by nomko »

viking777 wrote:I investigated this some more by installing gdevilspie on Ubuntu. In that distro the settings which work perfectly well for me in Mint don't work at all. The reason for this (I think) is that Ubuntu is using Compiz and Compiz has its own settings for window placement (the Place effect in ccsm). So I guess I should ask you, have you installed compiz on Mint? (I don't even know if you can do that, but if you have done it that may be one reason that gdevilspie doesn't work for you).
I don't have Compiz installed: http://www.wuala.com/nomko/Afbeeldingen ... e_004.png/.
I'm not sure if Compiz can be installed under Mint14+Cinnamon 1.6.7.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

nomko wrote:
twodogs wrote:Go to Cinnamon Settings and click 'Keyboard.'
Under 'windows' scroll down to the keyboard shortcut for centering windows.
I have Cinnamon 1.6 and when i open the keyboatrd settings in the Cinnamon settings menu i see 2 tabs: Typing and Keys (shortcuts). What do you mean with "Under windows scroll down...."??
You never got a follow up to that I think? On Cinnamon 1.6.7, open Cinnamon Settings and from there Keyboard. Go to the Keyboard shortcuts tab, and on the left list click on Windows. Scroll down in the right list till you get to Center window in screen. Then set a keyboard binding for that in the list beneath it. It works for every window, though you have to invoke it.

nomko

Post by nomko »

xenopeek wrote:
nomko wrote:
twodogs wrote:Go to Cinnamon Settings and click 'Keyboard.'
Under 'windows' scroll down to the keyboard shortcut for centering windows.
I have Cinnamon 1.6 and when i open the keyboatrd settings in the Cinnamon settings menu i see 2 tabs: Typing and Keys (shortcuts). What do you mean with "Under windows scroll down...."??
You never got a follow up to that I think? On Cinnamon 1.6.7, open Cinnamon Settings and from there Keyboard. Go to the Keyboard shortcuts tab, and on the left list click on Windows. Scroll down in the right list till you get to Center window in screen. Then set a keyboard binding for that in the list beneath it. It works for every window, though you have to invoke it.
Yes, i never got a follow up on my question. And thanks for this explanation xenopeek!
But there's 1 thing. I set a keyboard binding to move the window to the right side of the screen and also a keyboard binding to centre a window. But when i press the shortcut for moving the windows to the right side of the screen, it also moves down a little bit. Why is that?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Confirmed; that sounds like a bug. I've taken the liberty to report it: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1573
d00med

Post by d00med »

Gdevilspie has an option to center every window, whcih would be great as apposed to making a rule for each individual application. It centers conky and the dock I'm using if that option is set though, and there deosn't seem to be a way to exclude those. Has anyone else tried to do this and was able to exclude conky?
mintystark

Post by mintystark »

Gdevilspie worked for me except that the window still showed at the top left for a split second then gets centered. That split second was enough to annoy me to remove Gdevilspie.

Still need a Valid solution.

Return to “Cinnamon”