Music Players

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nackk

Music Players

Post by nackk »

Hi there,

I have a music collection on my server shared with samba. The collection is about 20,000 songs totaling 120GB. I have tried the following:

Banshee
Rhythmbox
Exaile
Gmusicbrowser
Audacious
Listen

Unfortunatly I got better results using WinAmp under wine. The native clients crash out, perform partial imports or are unable to read from the network. The music collection is clean, tagged, has album artwork and is DRM free. All files are named correctly with extensions. Mainly flac, ogg and MP3. I will not go into details of each problem here because I am past reconsilation after much trying. My question is, is there a music player which can create a library from a large collection of music which is hosted on a network via samba. At the moment I'm using wine/winamp or file browser and vlc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Music Players

Post by Flemur »

I've tried most of those players, and they're all fair to poor, not good.

I use foobar2000 with wine: far(!) more versatile, more reliable and smaller footprint (mem and CPU, including the wineserver).

Edit: I haven't used foobar with samba, just regular disk files. hydrogenaudio.org has more info on it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
nackk

Post by nackk »

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad it's not just me who found those programs poor. I'm wondering if there is some common reason as to why this is so. For the moment I'll give Foobar2000/Wine a try :)

Cheers.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Banshee
Rhythmbox

Both work fine here
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
nackk

Post by nackk »

caf4926 wrote:Banshee
Rhythmbox

Both work fine here
I think for me it's the number of files and that it's on the network which is causing the problem.
nackk

Post by nackk »

Flemur wrote:I've tried most of those players, and they're all fair to poor, not good.

I use foobar2000 with wine: far(!) more versatile, more reliable and smaller footprint (mem and CPU, including the wineserver).

Edit: I haven't used foobar with samba, just regular disk files. hydrogenaudio.org has more info on it.
Giving FooBar2000/Wine a try now. Its not the most elegant solution but it does work! Importing all files with no problems.
nackk

Post by nackk »

SOLUTION.

After thinking a bit more about why I was having a common problem in separate programs I surmised it was most likely the share it's self causing problems. I was mounting the share via Caja 1.4.0 by browsing the network and creating a book mark. Instead I used /etc/fstab and cifs in the following way. This is for shares which need username and password.

1. Create a login credential file. This is to keep the username and password hidden rather than plain text in fstab. From the terminal:

Code: Select all

pluma ~/.smbcredentials
Enter your username and password as:

username=myusername
password=mypassword
Save and exit.

Change the permissions via terminal:

chmod 600 ~/.smbcredentaials
2. We need to create a mount point for our share.

sudo mkdir /media/myshare
3. Now we need to edit /etc/fstab as root.

sudo pluma /etc/fstab
Now add the following line, replacing severname, sharename, myshare and localusername as appropriate.

//servername/sharename /media/myshare cifs credentials=/home/localusername/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
Save the file and exit.

Test with:

sudo mount -a
I got this from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

It seems creating a permanent share solves the problem, for me at least. Rhythmbox, Banshee and Exaile all work for me now. Haven't tested the others as of yet.

Return to “Software & Applications”