(SOLVED) failed to run mintinstall as user root

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lore68

(SOLVED) failed to run mintinstall as user root

Post by lore68 »

Hello everyone (Posting from italy and my english is a bit rusty lately, hope you'll forgive...)

i wanted to try linuxmint 14 and installed in my pc. It seems everything working correctly, but when i try to install new applications using software manager, i get this error message

The weird thing is that i can log in as user root with no problem for other tasks, such as mounting volumes, managing users and so on.

Is this a known problem of this distribution? does anyone have a clue about how to fix it?
I always used ubuntu in my pc and never experienced bugs and problems

thanks, Lorenzo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: failed to run mintinstall as user root

Post by jungle_boy »

Root can not install nothing?

I thing that it is because a bad iso downloaded.

Did you checked md5sum before burn it?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
lore68

Post by lore68 »

jungle_boy wrote:Root can not install nothing?

I thing that it is because a bad iso downloaded.

Did you checked md5sum before burn it?

did not check the iso.... :? but sounds so weird just everything else but installing new software goes great.

doesn't mintinstall have dependencies or need other shared libraries? if so many other applications or functionalities should have problems.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

lore68 wrote: doesn't mintinstall have dependencies or need other shared libraries? if so many other applications or functionalities should have problems.
Open synaptic and reinstall mintinstall...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
lore68

Post by lore68 »

jungle_boy wrote: Open synaptic and reinstall mintinstall...
this is the error i got when i launched synaptic (my username is lo)

i found a workout maybe here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=97450

i believe it's all a matter of adding my username to that sudoers file. But why it have not been done by itself, i don't know.
lore68

Post by lore68 »

Fixed :idea: :idea: :idea: :D :D :D :D :D

here's how i did it

now i am able to install new software with full root privileges.
Thanks to all of you
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: (SOLVED) failed to run mintinstall as user root

Post by jungle_boy »

Ok.

When you tried to reinstall mintinstall system reported that lo user was out of sudoers group; solution? Add lo to sudoers group.
LM 21 Cinnamon
abickerton

Post by abickerton »

I was seeing a similar problem. Software Manager was asking for the administration password, not the users password.

The solution I used was to run :

Code: Select all

$gksu-properties
Changed the Authentication mode from su to sudo and the users password was accepted. (After adding them to the sudo group)

Personally, I think this should be handled by polkit as the interface is more user friendly. By allowing the user to select and admin user from the dropdown I find it cleaner.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

su
adduser your_user_name sudo
Try to run software manager again.
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”