SOLVED Lexmark laser and LM14

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lissAJ

SOLVED Lexmark laser and LM14

Post by lissAJ »

I have a lm14 32 bit cinnamon DE install connected to a Lexmark toner based E260 printer. LM12 worked well, :D, understood the duplex, et.al. options.
LM14 installs a very basic driver. I can not set any of the printers functions :( I downloaded, and installed, a driver from Lexmark but had the same problem.
To anyone who can help me get this resolved I'll be very grateful. :)
BTW, ubuntu 12.04 also does not work.
I think the LM11 used a CUPS printer system. Does the newer kernel/distros use a different printer system?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Lexmark laser and LM14

Post by nomko »

Check here: http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Lex ... xmark-E260.

Here's some publication on installing Lexmark drivers for LInux systems: http://www.lexmark.com/publications/pdf ... /en/ug.pdf.

There's a download site, but the Mint/Ubuntu versions given there are older versions. You could try downloading one of those drivers and install it. But then you might end up with a damaged system...
http://support.lexmark.com/index?segmen ... age=null#2
lissAJ

Post by lissAJ »

Thanks nomko for the reply. I'll do as you said and report back.
Thanks
lissAJ

Post by lissAJ »

So, I determined how to fix the problem. :)
I installed Fedora 17 and everything is well. :)
When Debian/Ubuntu/LM fix their problem I may come back. :(
Thanks for the offer of help. :D
nomko

Post by nomko »

lissAJ wrote:So, I determined how to fix the problem. :)
I installed Fedora 17 and everything is well. :)
When Debian/Ubuntu/LM fix their problem I may come back. :(
Thanks for the offer of help. :D
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
This member installs Fedora, no problem (if we can assume this is true).
This members installs a Ubuntu-based, which itself is Debian-based, operating system and it doesn't work???????

Is this one of the few drawbacks of Debian/Ubuntu/Mint???? This puzzles me...
Does this means that Fedora keep their stuff more up-to-date or putting things together in a better way???
lissAJ

Post by lissAJ »

You may not wish to believe me, however what I stated was and is my experience.
I reiterate, after installing three different OS's, all debian based, only LM11 worked; as far as the printer issue is concerned.
So I tried Fedora 17 and it worked. BTW, the "powernow-K8" bug seems to have crept back into later kernels, including Fedora. I'm beginning to wonder if later Linux versions are getting corrupted code into the build. A conspiracy theory is born :roll:
P.S., since Fedora is "cutting edge" I'd think I'd have more difficulties with it than with Debian based distros.
lissAJ

Post by lissAJ »

Solved by using LM15. Finally all the necessary bits are in place and the "add Printer" sub-menus show the necessary options. Yeh :D

Return to “Printers & Scanners”