XFCE Proformance?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: XFCE Proformance?

Post by joutlan »

yep, XFCE should be faster....I'm a gnome guy who went KDE with KDE CE's release....all roads lead back to Mint....:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I decided to install the XFCE beta a couple of days ago and found it to be fairly fast on my computer (P4 1.6, 512 mb, Nvidia 6200LE). No problems so far, even with firefox. I'm really starting to like this one!

(click thumbnail for larger size)

I decided to go for a blue theme.
Anyone know if it is possible to make the task bar transparent?

revised desktop to add mint Xfce logo
Last edited by kenetics on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

I know you can make the taskbar as transparent as you want in Xfce....not in it now, but right click properties or configure.....?
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

theZoid wrote:I know you can make the taskbar as transparent as you want in Xfce....not in it now, but right click properties or configure.....?
There's no provision for transparency there. I've read where Xfce users have installed the Gnome bar though. Anyway, it's just a minor thing. Merlwiz has done such an excellent job that I can't find anything else to complain about!
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

I'm in Zenwalk Xfce now....I just now right clicked the panel, selected customize panel, and panel manager has a slider to make it anywhere from opaque to 100% transparent....same in Mint Xfce?
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

I have a transparency slider in that box! Not to be jealous though.....if you make it transparent, the damned panel icons become transparent too! so what's the point? LOL Zenwalk 5.0 is pretty awesome btw....I am very surprised, supports BT easily and intel 4965 OTB. Nvidia, all....
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

lancern wrote:Image

nope not on mint 4 Xfce..but maybe theres some other way you could do it..maybe with certain software..
not sure..
You need to enable Composite.
Make a backup of xorg.conf.
Then add this to the bottom.

Code: Select all

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
save and Ctrl+Alt+backspase
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Thanks Merlwiz.
I love this version of Mint!
mattf

Post by mattf »

kenetics wrote:
theZoid wrote:I know you can make the taskbar as transparent as you want in Xfce....not in it now, but right click properties or configure.....?
There's no provision for transparency there. I've read where Xfce users have installed the Gnome bar though. Anyway, it's just a minor thing. Merlwiz has done such an excellent job that I can't find anything else to complain about!
I think that in order to replace the Xfpanel with the Gnome panel you would have to install all of Gnome because of dependencies. If you want a good, dependency-free transparent panel, try LXPanel. It is from the LXDE desktop, and like the Gnome panel, it can become transparent while leaving the icons opaque.

Type

sudo apt-get install lxpanel
Then type

pkill xfce4-panel
Now you should have no panel. Press ALT+F2 to open the Run Program dialog and simply type 'lxpanel'.
The lxpanel should pop up, then you just have to right-click on it and go into panel settings to set transparency. Mint should remember the session, and it should be as you left it every time you log in.
atonz

Post by atonz »

Looking forward to compare the latest XFCE CE with what I've been running on my old 1.6GHZ 512MB RAM P4 for the past few months. I also plan on experimenting with LXDE in combination with Mint XFCE. If the new mint can offer a bit more speed and close to the same features in terms of applications I'm sure it will improve my family's use of the old desktop.

The XFCE CE has been sufficient for family use of Firefox and Thunderbird, however a little more efficieny is always welcome.

Return to “Xfce”