The unofficial LMDE XFCE - startup

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Re: The unofficial LMDE XFCE

Post by zerozero »

interesting 8)
this replace was done in lmde through one of the meta-packages (mint-meta-debian-mate/cinnamon afaik)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Yeah.. Thats an old fix, must have been just overlooked.. :wink:

Mint-Z looks great, unfortunately the Mint-Z window borders do not seem to have any re-size handles..... :lol:
Just change to any other window border of your preferences in "Settings Manager>Window Manager"

click
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I'm discussing with Jasper St. Pierre, developer of Alacarte, how to improve the editor for Xfce.
Some part was already fixed, but is not in any Debian repository and the other (related to the gnome-panel dependency) he's going to fix:
> And how would you tackle the gnome-desktop-item-edit/exo-desktop-item-edit
> issue?

I'd replace gnome-desktop-item-edit entirely, and drop the gnome-panel
dependency now by building a dialog replacement in-tree. I'll try to get to
that today.
So, I'll wait for that (but not too long: I have a simple fix for now) until I release the final version.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yeahh i was reading the bug report right now, has been as interesting day at gnome-land :lol:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Found something missing.
No search!

Need catfish (xfce search tool)

Code: Select all

gene@lmdexfce-rc:~$ apt-cache policy catfish
catfish:
  Installed: 0.3.2-2
  Candidate: 0.3.2-2
  Version table:
 *** 0.3.2-2 0
        500 http://mirror.metrocast.net/linuxmint-debian/latest/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

GeneC wrote:Found something missing.
No search!

Found that today as well: already included (hoped nobody would notice).
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

jjaythomas wrote:1) you should not use 'Mint Update' anymore? Use either synaptic or apt-get update apt-get distro-upgrade in terminal (root)

Whatever suits your fancy: they are all good.

Thanks for reply. But I was under the impression mint-update (debian version) was for those using UPack sysyem wasn't designed for testing (or sid either)?

J.Jay

edit** P.S
Supplied Mint-X theme does not render correctly (white fonts on light gray background in some apps)
To get correct Mint-X (and Mint-Z) theming
Install mint-themes
(you do NOT have to physically remove the old mint-x, it is automatically removed on installation of mint-themes)
one of few mint specific packages (in other debainland) was mint-destop-xfce for the easy font (light/dark/ background/no background) but had a lot dependencies (mint-system, backgrounds ect). Very handy if you like to play with appearances, wallpapers and such. :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

J.J.
now MU-debian is a good tool (performs dist-upgrades, has no problems with replaces, gives the necessary info about removals and additions); can be safely used in any branch of lmde; but if you prefer more verbose and greater control than ofc there's nothing like the terminal 8)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

J.J.
now MU-debian is a good tool (performs dist-upgrades, has no problems with replaces, gives the necessary info about removals and additions); can be safely used in any branch of lmde; but if you prefer more verbose and greater control than ofc there's nothing like the terminal 8)
Ohh Thank You ZZero (think was reading a old post about (yours I think) :D

Very Grateful for Enlightening me
J.Jay
P.S. not want to bork system (even tho reinstall when final version anyways) :lol:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Schoelje wrote:
GeneC wrote:Found something missing.
No search!

Found that today as well: already included (hoped nobody would notice).
I did not see a thing.... :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

jjaythomas wrote:(think was reading a old post about (yours I think)
:oops: yep i wrote some nasty things about MU, but mostly about the old version; Clem listed to us and this new MU-debian is a greatly improved tool

btw who was talking about fishing :mrgreen:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Alacarte revisited

Seem alacarte is working a lot better. But if you put a item in the top menu (one main menu button shows) the categories/itiems and such are rearraigned (example terminal and web browser moves from to top of menu to bottom). categories before single launchers(?) Can't remember if that what happens in Gnome/Mate (old memory to match eyes :roll: )

J.Jay
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

can 'unetbootin' replace 'image writer'
It (at least for me) makes a USB Startuper (is that a word?) perfect, but Gparted (unless in a live environment) complains about a recursive file system if want to reuse as (format) just as a storage pendrive.

edit** Also can 'BUM' replace setting>services. Bum gives more Info. P.S. also can't find listed using alacarte (to find launcher name) found name of app from putting on desktop (launcher properties). Uses about same mem unless dependencies problem again.

J.Jay
17xeros

Post by 17xeros »

about, distros sharing home folder.
JJ I have a crude way to share home folder between windows vista, LMDE XFCE and LMDE KDE unofficial.
LMDEs are installed with / and swap partitions. a user partition I call HOME mounts at /media/HOME.
HOME contains the usual structure of 'Documents, Down loads etc of a /home folder, plus 3 additional folders usernameXFCE, usernameKDE, and UNIconf folder.
usernameXFCE binds to /home/username when booting LMDE XFCE, respectively for KDE. It contains the configuration files and folders. The normal file folders "Documents", Downloads, ...., Videos in /media/HOME bind at /home/username/Documents etc. Uniconf (standing for universal configuration) folder contains configuration folders that can be shared between distros. There is a symlink of these folders in usernameXFCE and usernameKDE. If I find that there is another application's configuration that can be shared then I will move it in UNIconf folder and create symlinks in their places in usernameXFCE and usernameKDE folders. In that way I keep both configurations isolated and mixed in some sort of controlled way. And if / partitions are wiped out still have the benefits of a separate home partition (configuration and personal files intact).
widows documents etc folders also point to /HOME/Documents (there is a programme allowing windows to write on ext3 partitions)
Username and password are the same in all three OSes.

about DDM,
I worked very well with Broadcom's wifi in a HP pressario6730s. It identified the hardware and installed the driver. It works fine.
It didn't work with the atheros 5413 chip on a OQO 02. Had little hope actually to be honest. But would had been really nice if.
Wrong country code identification in the EEPROM unit of something like that I red is the problem. Compiling compat-wireless for 3.2 kernel didn't work like few other things I tried. at the moment the PC has LM13 and LM14 (in different disks). DDM was tried on LiveCD.
Brilliant thing this DDM, I think it would had be ever so helpful if it could run online, detect the potential iso downloader's hardware, comes up with an output/suggestion, and who knows, even tailor the iso to fit the hardware needs of the user. Like the custom Debian LiveCD website does (but not for hardware).

about xfcenext
don't know if I understood correct the discussion. xfce 4.10 from siductions xfcenext repositories works for me fine with LMDE XFCE UP6 (with sources.list pointed to debian testing repositories).
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

17xeros wrote:................
about xfcenext
don't know if I understood correct the discussion. xfce 4.10 from siductions xfcenext repositories works for me fine with LMDE XFCE UP6 (with sources.list pointed to debian testing repositories).
Hi '17...'
Welcome to the forums...
I agree. I have also been running the old LMDE/XFCE (201204 .iso), but tracking SID and with the Siduction xfcenext repo for several months, with no issues whatsoever. I have added them to this version as well. Not much new, but a couple of panel applets, but I am keeping an eye on it.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

about, distros sharing home folder.
I do something Almost similar...
I normally have a root(/) a swap and a home(/home) and a 32fat formatted partion I call the 'Bridge&Keep. Where I can put stuff for easy access with windows (I don't multi-boot but great for bluetooth those that do have Windows). I either copy things their for 'My Window friends' :) or sometimes I have symlinked into/with my (Linux) home folder.

J.Jay

P.S. also a great place to put stuff during upgrades (or borking system :lol: ) for easy retrieval (no format during install) come up local but not install proper :?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

ZZero your another fountain of info...
'need config wlan0 when in live mode
Maybe thats why live doesn't connect WIFI, but after install its automatic

Thank You
J.Jay

P.S.will try from live USB made.
YEP Thank YOU a million times (was driving me more senile then I am (I think!). :D :D :D
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry if wrong place to post (again)

Reinstalled 32 bit 'Unofficial LMDE-Xfce RC' Want to test pae kernel was doing 64bit :P

Live had no WIFI (preferences Wlan0, Thank ZZero) But even when installed WIFI no working (did 64bit right away). Checked wicd preferences had 'tion (?) or something listed changed to wlan0 and all was well again(!)

But anyway switched my source list to testing (not Upacks) again, tried in term 'mint-choose-debian-mirror' gives error found debian org in source list...aborting no changes made.
Am I tring to change mirrors wrong (on 64 bit I know switch me to 'Metrocast' but that was before changed soure list to testing??

Thank You
J.Jay
widget

Post by widget »

RC works fine here. Couldn't spend much time on it but it was all working as far as I could see.

Had only one problem in the Live Session and that was Exaile crashing when playing some music during install.

Booted better than any LMDE image I have booted. Always get asked for a password after a number of error boxes pop up. This one just booted to the desktop.

Install is 1 gig smaller than my fresh Wheezy install but not a real fair comparison as I have the full Libre Ofice installed and some things like Rhythmbox that pull in some Gnome crap.

Looks pretty good. Need to add some themes and icon sets, edit the fstab to mount my Data partition and go back and finish setting it up.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

jjaythomas wrote:can 'unetbootin' replace 'image writer'
It (at least for me) makes a USB Startuper (is that a word?) perfect, but Gparted (unless in a live environment) complains about a recursive file system if want to reuse as (format) just as a storage pendrive.

edit** Also can 'BUM' replace setting>services. Bum gives more Info. P.S. also can't find listed using alacarte (to find launcher name) found name of app from putting on desktop (launcher properties). Uses about same mem unless dependencies problem again.

J.Jay
Not really related to this thread, but I feel I get complaints about recursive file system just about every time I dd any of the latest Mint ISO's by following the guide on the community pages (only checked with LM 13 and above) and then later try to reuse them for other stuff...

Return to “Chat about Linux”