Really can't get flashplayer to work, tried too many ways.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squiesuie

Re: Really can't get flashplayer to work, tried too many way

Post by squiesuie »

Well, I don't understand much and this I certainly don't understand.
I dont find any libflashplayer.so.bk in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and I also tried the remove command again and it gives me this:

Code: Select all

~ $ sudo rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so.bk
[sudo] password for user: 
rm: cannot remove `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so.bk': No such file or directory
And I tried locate libflashplayer.so again and it gives me:

~ $ locate libflashplayer.so
/etc/alternatives/libflashplayer.so.bk
/opt/mint-flashplugin-11/libflashplayer.so.bk
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so.bk
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/libflashplayer.so.bk
I think viking777 wrote the answer to why while i where typing this. Something isn't updated.

Anyway I am alittle tired of this now and will let it rest for awhile. Maybe viking777 and mank_in are on the right track with the nouveau graphics driver, I don't know I am in way over my head on this aready long ago.
Last edited by squiesuie on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

viking777 wrote: I don't want to tread on your toes honestly
oh please viking, all the help is appreciated :wink:
specially since i'm lost here :lol:
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

squiesuie wrote:Hello meteorrock,
No I'm not doubting your skill, I just thought I should try zerozeros advice first, I was just abit afraid following your instructions could interfere with zerozeros method in some way. I don't know, I don't have much skill at all about this, I am just trying and guessing. However i did try choosing different mirror servers as you suggested, I tried both searching the best, and randomly chosing some, still the output of

apt update
seem to bee the same all the times I try.
I'm glad you are trying to help, thanks.
ok then lol. I hope you get flash working for you. Zerozero carry on :P

squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

Hello again all.
I decided to try again with this problem.

In the link suggested by zerozero: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1080414 I read this:
For users who cannot update to Flash Player 11.2.202.228, Adobe has developed a patched version of Flash Player 10.3, Flash Player 10.3.183.18, which can be downloaded here.
From the adobe hompage archive section i found Flash Player 10.3.183.50 which I downloaded, extracted libflashplayer to a folder just so I could find it, then I did as meteorrock suggested, I used nautilus to move libflashplayer.so to user/lib/opera/plugins, (this was the only way I could move libflashplayer to this folder). And then I tried youtube... Guess what, flash now worked, for the first time ever! I have tried several flash sites, I also used the same method to move libflashplayer to the mozilla folder and now flash works in firefox also.
Only problem I found so far is that the performance seems abit worse than when running flash on windows, can this be because of the older flashplayer?
And will my computer now be taken over by evil hackers if I keep using this older flashversion?
Can there be other better versions of flashplayer that could be worth trying for me?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm glad you figure this out :D
squiesuie wrote:Only problem I found so far is that the performance seems abit worse than when running flash on windows
i believe that (as mank_in said above) with nouveau and that graphic card there's not much more that you can do. you'll probably see also that full-screen playback is a lot worst.
squiesuie wrote:And will my computer now be taken over by evil hackers if I keep using this older flashversion?
there's a risk involved, that is an unsupported flash version; safe browsing and precaution is my recommendation.
squiesuie wrote:Can there be other better versions of flashplayer that could be worth trying for me?
i'm afraid that newer flash versions (at least from 11.x) have hardware acceleration and that is the feature that kills flash in your machine.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

squiesuie> I can't say for sure that this will help but I have seen many people report that it does. Worth a try???? While you have a flash player box playing (any version) (Youtube for eg.) You can r/click in the box and then select Settings... From there, untick Enable hardware acceleration. You may have to restart the browser(?). Sadly Windows gets all the attention from Adobe for flash when it comes to optimization, so on a low-end machine it will likely play better there. It may also be worth considering installing an add-on like Adblock Plus in Firefox (if you use it) as it will eliminate 90% of the unwanted flash objects from loading which may add to security and increase page loading speed.

Pat
Harry72

Post by Harry72 »

I had the same problem on install. Tried all the suggestions here, and now have it working part time. I'tll work for awhile and then quit, or it won't work at all, or I can do a reboot and it will work, sporadically. Running on an MSI 760GM-E51 mobo, AMD 640 quad core processor, Nvidia 8400 video card, and 16 gig of DDR3. Have win 7, winXP, Mint 14.1, and Mint 11. on a 1.5 TB HD.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Harry
it seems that yours is a different kind of problem: the OP has a somewhat legacy hardware and that is (as far as we could see here) the main problem with flash (specially the graphics card); i'm not expecting that your hardware shows the same limitations.
you should open a new topic as clearly the causes are other.

Return to “Software & Applications”