Shutdown Messages

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GaryN

Shutdown Messages

Post by GaryN »

I've looked and can't seem to find the answer to what I thought would be an easy question. I use the shutdown command to turn off my computer, and my old Ubuntu 10.04 used to give a message showing the time till shutdown, which would update every so often. With Mint kde 14 I get no messages, not even when I first issue the command, it used to say 'system will shoutdown in X minutes', or something like that, now it says nothing, which makes me wonder if it will really shutdown. I've tried the --verbose but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Shutdown Messages

Post by viking777 »

The shutdown command always requires a time element, that time element is usually 'now'. If you shutdown that way you will not get a countdown. However if you shutdown with:

Code: Select all

shutdown -h +5
Then you will (or at least I do)

NB +5 means shutdown in 5 minutes time.
GaryN

Re: Shutdown Messages

Post by GaryN »

viking777 wrote:The shutdown command always requires a time element, that time element is usually 'now'. If you shutdown that way you will not get a countdown. However if you shutdown with:

Code: Select all

shutdown -h +5
Then you will (or at least I do)

NB +5 means shutdown in 5 minutes time.
Thanks viking777, but the problem was with 13 and not 14. I've used the shutdown -h 60, for example for ages, and it has always given me the "system will..." message, but on 13 it didn't, no biggie, just puzzled me. However, with 14 I get the message again, and at first glance, 14 is so sweet, I dont think I'll be using 13 anymore. Complements to the developers for sure!

Return to “Other topics”