Hi Everyone

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kimboinatl

Hi Everyone

Post by kimboinatl »

Hey all,

I've lurked here a bit, mostly to find answers to questions that I've had, but I decided to create an account and introduce myself.

I was a Unix sys admin back when I first started my IT career (Solaris, AIX and HP). I played around with Linux a bit back then, but nothing major. After that I became a Java developer - I still did a bit of Solaris sys admin from time to time (just because no one else in my group knew anything about Unix), but I didn't really do any heavy duty with Unix for some time, and lost a lot of my knowledge and expertise. The little bit of Unix I've played around with as a developer lately has been with Cygwin.

I decided to load Linux Mint onto my laptop because I had heard that it was the most "newb" friendly of the bunch (and I do consider myself a newb now). So far I've really enjoyed playing around with it. I started off with 12, then upgraded to 13.

I also play around a lot with Android. I have a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7.

Glad to be here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard :D You shouldn't need the command line much, but if you want you perhaps freshen up your skills with the Introduction to the command line book. You can read it online for free, download in various ebook formats for free, or buy the printed book. Anyway, most important of course is to have fun with Linux Mint :wink: If you hadn't figured it you yet, you can mount your Android 4+ devices on Linux Mint also; http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-to-m ... mtpfs.html. Linux Mint being based on Ubuntu, you can use almost all programs and tutorials for Ubuntu on Linux Mint. Linux Mint 13 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 (should any tutorial refer to Ubuntu versions specifically).
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Welcome to the Mint forums. Jump right in and have a little fun. :D
kimboinatl

Post by kimboinatl »

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all. Xenopeek, thank you very much for the links, those'll come in handy.

I have actually had some issues with my Galaxy Nexus, because it's using MTP (same for my Nexus 7 I think). I did get it working at one point, but it took forever to mount, and the transfer was really slow. I eventually gave up and switched to moving files over using ADB. I'll give your link a read though and see if I can find anything in there or somewhere on here.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

Hi there :) Welcome to the forums.

The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
kimboinatl

Post by kimboinatl »