[Solved] Mint 14 KDE update problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
papa33

[Solved] Mint 14 KDE update problem

Post by papa33 »

Hi,

I've installed the latest Mint 14 KDE without any problems. Reboot, OK. Then as it has been mentioned in another thread, I receive more than 300 updates.
Now here is the problem : during the update process, my computer just hangs completely, the update process never ends, and I even can't login into a text console.
I have to turn off the computer "the hard way"... I reproduced this three times this morning, so I had to give up finally. It seems related to a memory problem (although I have 8GB of RAM), and
I thought of a hardware problem, but I just installed Manjaro Linux on this PC and it's just running fine.
I'd really like to install Mint though, so if you have any ideas solving this, I thank you in advance.

Merry Christmas,
papa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 14 KDE update problem

Post by xenopeek »

The primary Linux Mint repository server may have slow download speed right now as LMDE users are upgrading their systems, and that is a huge download. To improve the download speed, pick a mirror server in your country. That's why we have mirrors :wink: Open Software Sources from the menu, and on the LinuxMint Software tab, in the Download from selection box, choose Other. Then either pick a mirror server in your country by browsing to it, or press the Select Best Server button (but that might take a long time right now). Confirm your choice by pressing the Choose Server button.
papa33

Post by papa33 »

Hi, I bump this topic because I tried once again, and I must admit I've never seen such a thing.
Ok, so at first the install went smooth, no problem at all, then at the end I rebooted the PC.
After logging in, I had a notification of over 300 updates, so I run the update manager, and... that was 1 hour ago, and the manager still does not display the list of updates as it should, besides I can say that my HD is working like crazy.
So this is really weird, and since the previous distro was running OK, I doubt this is a hardware problem.
The only thing I'm thinking about is that I was using a few weeks ago Kubuntu on this PC, and I re-use the /home partition.

Any clue? I'm really stuck.
Thanks in advance,
papa

Edit: system was completly hanging, I had to press the power button...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

papa33

Post by papa33 »

Thanks for answer. I tried that but this is definitely not the solution to my problem.
I indeed selected the best server and this time the update manager did display the list of updates, but now it is just hanging while downloading.
Well this looks like I have a major problem here, and I'm afraid I have to choose another distro (I plan to test mint cinnamon edition to see, who knows?)

regards,
papa
papa33

Post by papa33 »

OK, this time I tried to update with the terminal doing sudo apt-get upgrade.
The process completely hangs at
update-initramfs ...

It is not a problem of server,
thanks for help, I really need some...

Edit : not sure that the above is a real clue, because it's not always hanging at the same step.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Have you tried doing the updates in "chunks" (# of updates) of smaller size?

-DataMan
papa33

Post by papa33 »

Well I wanted to try that, yes. But last time the system hanged as soon as I run the update manager, so I couldn't do anything...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps there is some package we might recognize as problematic. Please open a terminal and try the following command to simulate upgrading. Then share the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

Code: Select all

apt-get upgrade --simulate
papa33

Post by papa33 »

xenopeek wrote:Perhaps there is some package we might recognize as problematic. Please open a terminal and try the following command to simulate upgrading. Then share the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

apt-get upgrade --simulate
Tried to do that and I got the output. Problem : right after that, my PC completely froze, so I was unable to perform a copy/paste or anything else...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ouch :( You may try writing the output to a file, and perhaps at least partially you can read that file after reboot--should it freeze again.

apt-get upgrade --simulate > ~/Desktop/upgrade-output.txt
Puts the file upgrade-output.txt on your desktop.
papa33

Post by papa33 »

Thank you guys for your help.
Right now I'm writing from a fully upgraded Mint... Cinnamon edition. Everything allright with this release.
So what was it? I'm thinking of a corrupt install media for my Mint KDE, but then shouldn't the install process have failed?
What I should do to check is to re-download the Mint KDE iso, re-burn it and re-install. I think I will wait a little bit.
Thanks anyway!
papa33

Post by papa33 »

Hello again,

so I burned a new iso of Mint 14 KDE 64bits ans installed the system, but the problem remains the same, the system hangs (il looks as it hangs as soon as type my password to launch a system utility with sudo rights).
Definitely not a hardware problem, because I've been running in the meantime 3 different distros successfully : Manjaro, Mint 14 Cinnanmon and Fedora 18 (all 64bits). By the way a few months ago, I was running Mint 13 KDE without
any problem.
So it might be a hardware compatibility issue, here are the specs of my PC :

Acer Aspire X3990-276
Intel® Pentium G620 (2.60 Ghz)
Nvidia GeForce 405 1Go
8 Go DDR3 1333 (2 x 4096Mo)

For the HD, it's a 2To, probably SATA, but I can't find more information about it.

So maybe there's a specific problem with this config, but it's weird anyway, cause it's only with Mint KDE...

If you have any idea about this.

Thanks a lot!
papa33

Post by papa33 »

I found the solution!
I deleted my .kde folder in my home folder. It was probably a little bit a mess since as you could read, I installed a lot of distros.

Now I would like to thank everyone for helping me and being so friendly!
I mark this thread as solved.
papa

Return to “Software & Applications”