Nvidia Graphics Drivers - Install Guide

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Re: Nvidia Graphics Drivers - Install Guide

Post by zerozero »

JTJaskot,
are you running lmde or "main" mint? in doubt please share the terminal output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Sr
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

Hello all. I followed the guide and sucessfully installed the drivers for my card. Wish I could have just used the free ones but screen flickering and cinnamon freezing made me do it lol.

My issue is that when running the nvidia settings panel I no longer have 1280x1024 resolution option for my second monitor. It maxes out at 640x380 :(

My main 21 inch monitor is working fine at 1600x900 but the secondary one is pretty much useless at that rez so I have it shut off for the mean time.

mrpants@nix-tower:~$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card NVIDIA G73 [GeForce 7600 GS] X.org 2) Res: 115x43 Gfx Data: N/A out of X

Hopefully I just missed something simple, I did some searching around here on the forums and was only able to find kind of similar issues but no fix :)

thanks.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Just as a note for people with Optimus graphics cards - I have a Dell XPS 15 l502x with a NVIDIA GT 540M and it works well with the http://suwako.nomanga.net/ repos. I followed the instructions on the website and it works fine. I am running Sid though, so I can't verify on LMDE Latest.
junaidsurve

Post by junaidsurve »

Hi All

I am a recent migrant from Windows to LM13(64-bit) Mate. I have been facing a problem with Dual Monitor for the past 7-8 days. I have tried a lot of stuff that I got from various forums and by googling, however none helped.

I have a nVidia GT420M card on my Laptop(64-bit). I have installed the latest 310.19 drivers. From http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html
My ideal preference is - My External Monitor (VGA-0) to be my primary screen and the Laptop screen (LVDS-0) to be off.

On boot, the login screen appears on the Laptop screen. After logging in, the External Monitor is considered as the Primary screen since the panel appears in the External Screen, however the desktop icons appear on the Laptop screen.

The problem is when i do

sudo nvidia-settings
and choose my Laptop screen to be put off, both screen turn black for about 2 seconds and then only the Laptop screen has the background image with the desktop icons disappeared and the neither the mouse nor the keyboard responds. So I have to do a hard reset.

Also when I select "Separate X Screen" and click on "Apply". The Laptop screen goes black and the External Monitor has the background image in the top half of the screen and the bottom half is black. It looks like the Laptop settings are imposed on the External Monitor. Also neither the mouse nor the keyboard responds. So I have to do a hard reset.

To install the nVidia drivers I have done the following -

sudo killall mdm

apt remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau libdrm-nouveau1

<at the downloaded path> sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.19.run 
Complie dkmk - Yes
Install 32 bit Open GL libraries - Yes

sudo nvidia-xconfig 

sudo reboot
The current nvidia-settings are attached.
Rayeta76
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayeta76 »

Hello in ports Spanish i have write tuto to installa non-free driver Nvidia 310.19 a simply work.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=119542

Bye
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I ended up with an interrupted upgrade to LMDE (KDE) UP6 and ultimately got a terminal login prompt once I got things upgraded but had managed to get things fixed. Yesterday I finally remembered to edit my /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add

Option     "NoLogo" "true"
to get rid of the Nvidia splash but when I fired up my laptop this am I was again dumped to the terminal login prompt. I had put the code at the end of the "Section 'Device' " section of the file, but is that the right way to disable the splash on LMDE? According to the Nvidia X Server Settings app I'm running a Quadro NVS 140M graphics chip on my lenovo T61.
Rayeta76
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayeta76 »

Tired of kernel updates with Nvidia driver and then tty1 screen appears. : (For when a kernel update that respects the driver Nvidia or ATI?
losst

Post by losst »

@drcasper

Thanks, man. Worked for me, except I had to install without DKMS- failed to build. Anyone know how to install the downloaded driver (from Nvidia, not from the repo) with DKMS support? I'm guessing my X will be broken at the next kernel update.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the drivers downloaded and installed directly from nvidia are not built with dkms support so, yes, you'll have to reinstall the driver with every kernel update.
losst

Post by losst »

zerozero wrote:the drivers downloaded and installed directly from nvidia are not built with dkms support so, yes, you'll have to reinstall the driver with every kernel update.
During installation we're presented with an option to build with DKMS, it just fails on my system (LMDE 1204 64bit), so I expect it should be doable. I'm going to do some research- was just hoping someone here may have already solved this issue.
Rayeta76
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayeta76 »

two things:

I always install from synaptic, or from terminal when with the command:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install nvidia-kernel-dkms
sudo nvidia-xconfig
When I do this, configure the graphical kernel where I do the installation, but it stops working above the graph.
How to configure my Nvidia I can in all my kernels?

Excuse me for bad English, responsibility of Google traslator :(
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

apparently yes, from v.304 you have that option [url]ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/304.37/README/installdriver.html#InstallingTheKe997db[/url] but with several exceptions.
losst

Post by losst »

zerozero wrote:apparently yes, from v.304 you have that option [url]ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/304.37/README/installdriver.html#InstallingTheKe997db[/url] but with several exceptions.
Are you from the future? Your post time says 10:20, yet it is only 10:13 on my cable box... am I going to die in 7 minutes, future man?
losst

Post by losst »

zerozero wrote:apparently yes, from v.304 you have that option [url]ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/304.37/README/installdriver.html#InstallingTheKe997db[/url] but with several exceptions.
Yeah I have (I think) the source and header files installed. Tried again with DKMS- still no go so, reinstalled without DKMS and now I have no direct rendering support. Weird... this was with the Beta 313.* driver BTW. Going back to the 304.* driver in the repo for now, and I'll check the install logs and see if I can figure out what's going on. It would be nice to be able to install the latest Nvidia drivers and have them not break after every kernel update.
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

zero,
Would smxi work for the above situation.
I use it to update to the nvidia current all the time after a kernel upgrade.
Works for me.
Thanks
Dan
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@losst:
i can't tell you if that is a problem with the latest 313.x drivers, with the way they are being installed or elsewhere; i use the stock 304.x and that one serves all my needs (plus with dkms support i have to worry less about X breakages, but they also happen)

@Dan
smxi has an option to (re)install the latest driver after every kernel update
losst

Post by losst »

zerozero wrote:@losst:
i can't tell you if that is a problem with the latest 313.x drivers, with the way they are being installed or elsewhere; i use the stock 304.x and that one serves all my needs (plus with dkms support i have to worry less about X breakages, but they also happen)

@Dan
smxi has an option to (re)install the latest driver after every kernel update
310.* fails to build with DKMS as well- keep getting an error stating something like "kernel building is not necessary". smxi seems like a viable option. Does smxi automatically rebuild the driver w/DKMS after kernel updates, or does this have to be done manually/scripted? Thanks for the assistance, guys.
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

I did nearly everything on this 5 page threat and nothing works for me. :?

I downloaded the nvidia-173 driver from the nvidia site.

I uninstalled the nouveau driver but it was still in use after reboot, so I followed the indications to blacklist it, but still it is in use. :(
I do not what else to do.
Please help.
Thank you.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@ yoramdavid
according to this
yoramdavid wrote: In my case I need to install the Nvidia-173 driver.
I am on LinuxMint 14, installed yesterday, first time using it.
it won't work ever i'm afraid. this topic is in Other Edition Support ‹ LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) ‹ Hardware Support an you are using LinuxMint 14
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

zerozero wrote:@ yoramdavid
according to this
yoramdavid wrote: In my case I need to install the Nvidia-173 driver.
I am on LinuxMint 14, installed yesterday, first time using it.
it won't work ever i'm afraid. this topic is in Other Edition Support ‹ LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) ‹ Hardware Support an you are using LinuxMint 14
Oh, I did not realize I was in the wrong forum nor that to install the driver on LinuxMint 14 would be different.
Thanks, I have started a new threat on that.

Return to “LMDE Archive”