How do I update sane from 1.0.22 on Katya or Maya?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

How do I update sane from 1.0.22 on Katya or Maya?

Post by dhdurgee »

I recently picked up a Canon PIXMA MG2120 on sale to use as a scanner on my system. Unfortunately sane 1.0.22 does not recognize it, according to someone on the sane-devel list I need at least 1.0.23 for this scanner to work. Checking in the package manager shows that 1.0.22 is the version in the repository. Going to the sane-project web site shows the following in the download area:

"Most Linux distributions package SANE with modifications required to support their authentication or permissions systems. We recommend you use the vendor's packages. If you need a more updated version of SANE, be prepared to build from source, and ask on a distro-specific forum for advice."

Thus, I am asking here how am I to get the updated SANE release? Checking with apt-cache shows:

dhdurgee@DHD-Z560 ~/Downloads $ apt-cache policy libsane
libsane:
Installed: 1.0.22-2ubuntu1
Candidate: 1.0.22-2ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 1.0.22-2ubuntu1 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

So it appears that this is an ubuntu supported package. Should I ask over there? Does a request need to come from the mint team?

Dave

PS: I just did a bit more searching and find that it appears that 1.0.23 is available with the ubuntu quantal release. Does that open a path to get it for natty and thus Katya?

Dave

PPS: I just located a ppa for sane backends:

https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewal ... chive/sane

Has anyone else tried this yet? If not, I guess I will be the pioneer.

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How do I update sane from 1.0.22 on Katya or Maya?

Post by jungle_boy »

I am running Linux Mint 14 , xfce and current libsane is 1.0.23.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I update sane from 1.0.22 on Katya or Maya?

Post by dhdurgee »

It looks like sane 1.0.23 still has problems with my Canon PIXMA MG2120 as a scanner, so I need to get 1.0.24 installed. It appears that this is still in development and I had to download the snapshot from the developers to build the binaries myself. Has anyone else done this on Katya x64? Anything I need to watch out for?

Dave

Return to “Software & Applications”