Linux mint 12 and Intel GMA 500 = no GUI

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miez

Linux mint 12 and Intel GMA 500 = no GUI

Post by miez »

Dear fellow Mint users,

Anyone already got Linux mint 12 properly running with the Intel GMA 500 card? Tried it on my netbook, but cannot get the live-session running in Gnome. It ends up in the Terminal when I boot from my usb-stick. When I use the command startx, it says "no screens found". This is the same problem I had with Ubuntu 11.10. Again this seems to be the problem because of that stupid Intel GMA 500 card.

Thx in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux mint 12 and Intel GMA 500 = no GUI

Post by remoulder »

Try the suggestion in the 1st post of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1792777
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
miez

Post by miez »

Thx for the link, :) I'll try it and see if it works.
mcasassa

Post by mcasassa »

I have an HP slate 500 with the same Intel GMA500 video card, and it didnt boot the live USB into the graphical mode, linux Mint 12 DVD. Saw all those posts about downloading the correct driver.

What I did was to add at the end of the grub kernel line (shows when pressing tab on the grub selection line), before the "--", the configuration option

Code: Select all

vga=0x315
which puts the config VGA 800x600 pixels in the video driver, enough to allow the vesa Xorg driver to boot up correctly. Just hope it's not too late :D
mcasassa

Post by mcasassa »

Oh and, pretty cool, the touchscreen works out of the box :!:
critter42

Post by critter42 »

I had to add both the vga=0x315 and the dummy poulsbo environment variables listed in the first post of that other link given above on the "compatibility mode" menu option in order to get Linux Mint 12 to boot on my Dell Mini 1010 (good ol' GMA500 :twisted: )
rkline1963

Post by rkline1963 »

The directions above and in the link to the Ubuntu forums post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1792777) worked for getting my Acer Aspire One AO751h working. I was having some of the windows during the install run off the bottom of the screen so I used vga=0x318 to get 1024x768 mode (the AO751h has a 1366x768 resolution screen). The instructions on the ubuntuforums post also got the screen brightness controls to work as well.

So far my linux Mint 12 install experiences have felt like a trip in the way back machine to the late 1990s when hardware support was abysmal unless you checked supported hardware lists for your linux distribution before buying anything. I've had to do 3 do over reinstalls each on the Aspire One and an AMD/ATI graphics laptop (non-working proprietary fglrx driver) to end up with installs that work without fully supported graphics hardware. I've been spoiled in the past few years into expecting linux to work better than windows.
SThom27

Post by SThom27 »

I'm installing on a Dell Mini 10 (1010) and the vga=318 isn't an option for me. This may be an issue with all Dell Mini 1010's. You'll just have to deal with the install window running off the bottom of the screen. It's not too difficult to pay attention to button order and just
over to the where the [NEXT] button should be. There is really only one screen that is a problem on and the rest of the install will go smoothly.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

Got a Asus EEEPC 1202 HA running LMDE 32 which uses a Intel GMA 500

It runs Mate but uses xserver-xorg-video-fbdev 1:0:4.2 which is not very fast at all.

The xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.19.0 install ok but if I go to cinnamon I get a blank screen.

Have tried to install "Poulsbo" drivers without success.

Anyone got any great :idea:

Return to “Installation & Boot”