Mint Maya13, power outage=not working now[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chadwick

Mint Maya13, power outage=not working now[SOLVED]

Post by Chadwick »

The electric got blinky the other night and now when I try to start my computer it automatically goes to a warning message that says-

Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that, you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

Ok, I know for certain that there is diskspace available. So that is not the issue. There is a button under the warning message that allows me to "View details (~/.xsession-errors file) I select this and it displays the following-

/ect/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:chadwick being added to access control list
Setting IM through im-switch for local=en_US
Start IM through /ect/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /ect/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernal service
Failed to start message bus: Failed to read directory "/ect/dbus-1/session.d": No such file or directory
EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon

I'm a newb, admittedly. However, I can access the terminal via Ctrl+F2. If directions are laid out for me in detail, assuming I'll be a monkey and follow them exactly, I can follow them. I sincerely need to fix this. I have a large number of files on this computer that I simply cannot replace or afford to lose.

Thank you in advance,
Chadwick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: Mint Maya13, power outage=not working now

Post by cecar »

Maybe the filesystem got corrupted. Go to the terminal and force filecheck with this command.

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -Fr now 
It will restart your machine with a forced filecheck.
Chadwick

Post by Chadwick »

I tried that command, didn't work

shutdown: illegal time value
cecar

Post by cecar »

Thats weird. It works for me. Did you put in now in the end?
Chadwick

Post by Chadwick »

I typed the command exactly as you wrote it.
Chadwick

Post by Chadwick »

Ok, I've looked around and have done the following.

I logged into root and then executed this command "shutdown -Fr now". It rebooted and started a filesystem check and once it got to about 80% it went back to the same message that I provided in the beginning of this thread.

Back at square one.
Chadwick

Post by Chadwick »

I downloaded a live CD and found that I can access the files I need to save. They are currently being copied over to a portable USB drive. Once this completes I plan on wiping the computer clean and starting over with a new install. Hours of online searches for help has led me to the conclusion that the best thing to do is abandon this installation. I'm going to go with Mint KDE this time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”